I Am 54 Year Old Female, Lost 30lbs, Now 100lbs, What Do You Recommend For My Flabby Arms?

I have lost 30 pounds and my arms are so flabby. Should i get surgery or would execise take care of it. I am 100 pounds

Flabby arms after weight loss

+1

The best indication for an arm lift, and the most gratifying are those who have lost a lot of weight.  The skin is usually flabby and overstretched.  It is simple and effective to remove the skin that has been stretched past its capacity.  No Liposuction, or other noninvasive modalitiy will help the skin become more firm around the arms.  The length and type of the incision will vary depending upon the location and the amount of fat in the arms.  The cost will also vary by geographic locale.  Most will run anywhere from $3500-$7000.  I would advise you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have treatment recommendations specific to your concerns.

Exercise alone may not get the results for your arms..Combine with an arm lift

+1
To Whom It May Concern:

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on the amount of weight that you have lost and the flabby arms that you described and your age, I would suggest an arm lift. 
The severity of the excess skin will determine what type of incision is needed.  Sometimes a crescent incision is made in the armpit if the excess skin is mild.  If it is slightly more severe, a key incision may be required which is an incision underneath the armpit and extends slightly down the inner upper arm. Or if you have a moderate amount of skin and fat around the elbow region, then an incision would have to be made from the elbow to the armpit.
Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Thank you,
J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Flabby Arms after weight loss

+1

Although exercise is excellent for many things in terms of health, it will not restore elasticity to the skin. Once it's gone it's gone. Without seeing a photo I hate to make a specific recommendation other that consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Chances are that for the improvement you desire, a surgical skin reduction will be recommended.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Fixing "flabby" arms...

+1

The arm skin is notoriously resistant to shrinkage after weight loss.  Typically, the most effective way to tighten arm skin is to perform an arm lift (brachioplasty).  This procedure requires placement of an incision line along the inner groove of the arm extending into the underarm.  Unfortunately, the scar quality in this area is often sub-optimal. Basically, it becomes a judgment call as to whether the scar is better than the sagging.  Other procedures such as thermage or certain kinds of liposuction have been used to treat this problem but the results are mixed.  You would need to see a surgeon experienced with all of the methods to get a fair assessment of the trade-offs with each.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of “Flabby” Arms after Weight Loss?

+1

You should be very proud of your significant weight loss;  unfortunately, patients who have lost this much weight tend to have “loose skin”  that is a constant reminder of where they have been.
Although it is not possible to give you precise advise without direct examination, I think you may be an excellent candidate for arm lifting surgery. Arm lifting is an great procedure to improve the contour of the arms and remove  redundant skin and adipose tissue;  the downside is a relatively high rate of unsatisfactory scarring and the need for revisionary surgery.
It may behoove you to visit with well experienced  board certified plastic surgeons.

+1

Upper arms are a lot of times very troubled areas for women to keep firm. After a significant weight loss Brachioplasty (arm lift) may be a good option for you.  Photos are always helpful so it's hard to determine if you would be a better candidate for a full or mini arm lift.  You can research on the internet to look at before and after photos to help you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

There are many options to treat flabby arms.

+1

There are many options to treat flabby arms.  Each option should be considered after a thorough exam and discussion with your surgeon.

Specifically you need to document the presence of excess fat (and how much) and excess skin (and how much) and then decide on the best procedure to treat your specific issues.

If you have a problem with excess skin then exercise alone usually will not give you the results that you are after, because you can't exercise the skin.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of flappy arms

+1

Thank you for your question. It is difficult without examination or photos to answer your question. In general, the treatment of flappy arm depends on the amount of excess skin and excess fat. The treatment can vary from simple liposuction to arm lift. In arm lift, the excess skin is excised surgically. Exercise will help in reducing the fat, but the skin will hang down further.   

Moneer Jaibaji, MD