Have I Chosen The Correct Implant Size For My Desired Outcome? (photo)

Hello all! I am 5'4" tall, weigh 105 lbs, and am thin. I am 24 years old. I have attached a photo if this helps. I would like at least a mid C cup. I have decided on a silicone implant, below the muscle. My doctor has told me I am a good candidate for a 275-300cc.... does this seem about right? As I am thin with minimal breast tissue I am just scared this will be a little too small. What do you all think. I have attached photos. Thanks, your opinions are appreciated. My surgery is about a week away.

Implant size

+2

Your plan seems to be about right from looking at the picture but it is impossible to tell.  In my practice I will use a temporary sizer in the operating room to fine tune what size of implant to finally use to give the result that the patient wishes.

Gary Hall,MD

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Best way for choosing breast implant size

+2

Ideal breast size is a very personal concept and it should not be left to the surgeon to decide what size implant you will like.  It is rarely a medical decision. Over my 30 years of experience trying to help patients achieve their "Ideal Breast" I have found that bra size discussions, photos of other patients, and long discussions about outcomes often fail to communicate patient's expectations adequately.

Reports to the FDA indicate that almost 20% of patients who have breast implants have a second operation within 6 years (for various reasons) and half of them change their implants for larger sizes. Almost all of these patients allowed the surgeon to decide their size for them.

The solution is to ask your surgeon to loan you 4 or 5  implants of various sizes to take home for a week so you can put the implants in a bra and  try on your own clothing  and look at yourself in the mirror over a few day's time, get other opinions and then you decide what size to use. It is not a perfect "test drive" but it is better than hoping the surgeon can read your mind.

I have had hundreds of patients over the years do this and found that in one survey I did (not published) 100% of the patients were happy with their implant size one year later.

Why don't all surgeons do this?

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Choosing implant size for breast augmentation

+2

Having your surgeon review pre- and post-op pictures from his or her portfolio will give you an excellent idea of the surgeon's concepts of balanced breast augmentation.  Chose someone Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and make sure you get to see a representative series of pictures.

My approach is to bring to the OR a complete set of implants and then I use temporary sizers in surgery to see which sizes and shapes yield the best results.  I then know exactly which implants to place.  

The most important concept is balance:

Balance L vs R;

balance top to bottom for overall figure proportionality;

balance skin vs. volume for breast aesthetics;

balance base diameter of the implant with the diameter of your chest.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast implant choices

+2

It is so difficult to suggest what would be best fo ryou without an exam and a discussion of your goals. I am assuming that this was done with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Selecting the Right Implant

+2

Based on the information provided, the implant size you selected may get you to a full B or small C cup if you are staring with an A cup. If you are starting with a B cup, you will probably get closer to a mid C cup. However, there is no way of predicting the final result so be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Choosing breast implants

+2

This is not a question that can be accurately answered on line.  Measurements of your chest wall need to be made to choose the best implant base width.  Then the profile of the implant needs to be selected to give the degree of naturalness vs fullness you want -  ie. "the look" you want.  275-300 may well be perfect for you but you didn't mention the profile and a 300HP looks entirely different from a moderate (now called classic) profile.  Forget the cup size as this is the least important factor compared to the look.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Size?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I agree with your decision to proceed with silicone gel breast implants. These implants will likely give you the best results possible, given your body type.

Prior to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

Picking the correct implant size

+2

Each plastic surgeon uses a slightly different method to determine the right implant size for their patients.  I like to review before and photos of patients with similar body frames.  It can also be helpful for prospective patients to try on different implant sizes.  It is important to remember that each patient is unique in her anatomy and in her desired result. Also, it is impossible for plastic surgeons to guarantee a certian bra size because each patient heals a little differently.  For thin patients with minimal breast tissue, I typically think an implant around 280cc will provide a middle C cup.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon