Age 54, Mother of 6 - Am I a Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

I Am 54 with 6children. I am 5'3" and weigh 165 used to weigh 125 up until 2years ago and it seems that all the weight is in my stomach. I have tried everything push up sit up and still nothing, my stomach is hanging over my panties, put on slim underwear , pushes all up in my chest. will my age be a factor?

Candidate Characteristics for Tummy Tuck

The ideal candidate for Abdominoplasty is someone in good health that does not smoke, has a BMI between 20 and 25, and has significant excess abdominal skin. You should definitely fit the excess skin criteria. Your BMI, however, is 29. This means that a lot of your weight is within the abdominal cavity. This prevents tightening the muscle and thinning the abdomen as much as you would like. You need to lose this intraabdominal fat first. This requires changing your diet, as exercise cannot correct the problem unless you are on the proper diet. There are multiple resources, including diet programs and books. One of the best books is “You On a Diet” by Rosen and Oz.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Tummy tuck and age

In answer to your question:

I do not believe your age is a factor assuming that your overall health is stable.  It sounds like you have tried to get better with diet and excercise and have hit a wall.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation about an abdominoplasty.   You can get more improvement with 2 or 2 and 1/2 hours in the operating room than you would get in 5 years at the gym.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

850 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10075

Tummy tuck or not

Hi,  your  age is no biggie for the tummy tuck.  If you can lose some weight, good but if you cannot, then do the body contouring and perhaps some liposuction with it and you will be a very happy mom.

The conditions of which you describe are typical for the tummy tuck mommy makeover patients. 

Keep up the exercising and get the opinions from the plastic surgeons.  You are not out of the range of a tummy tuck.  I do not like to put severe restrictions on patients that are in your category.  If you have gotten to the weight that just will not allow for further weight loss, then do the procedure and continue with the exercise. 

Your new contours will be very motivating for you.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

455 Patroon Creek Blvd #101
Albany, NY 12206

Too old for a tummy tuck?

You sound to be a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck!  Having had several children, knowing that the stomach muscles are very weak and loose, would potentially give you a good result.  Age is not a concern, provided your overall health is good.  I have had patients even in their 70's have wonderful results.  Use the advice of your Internist and Plastic Surgeon to give you proper guidance about this .

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

607 South Magnolia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33606-2725

Tummy Tuck Surgery Candidate?

There is no magic age cutoff for the tummy tuck procedure assuming you are in good health. A good medical workup will give you and your plastic surgeon peace of mind in this regard.   Otherwise, you will know physically (when you are at your baseline weight) and emotionally when you are ready to proceed with this major operation.  This planning would involve making sure you have enough help for your newborn and yourself during the recovery period (approx. 3-4 weeks).  

I do however have another  word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Tummy tuck

If you are now 165 and were once 125, you may want to first consider losing weight. The result is usually better.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Tummy tuck after 40 pound weight gain

A tummy tuck is not a good option for treating a 40 pound weight gain. If you pursue this course, it is likely that you will not be satisfied with the outcome.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Candidate for tummy tuck

If you are in good medical condition your age is not a factor. I would recommend trying to maintain a stable weight. Dr ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Candidate for tummy tuck

More important than your actual age is your general health. I believe you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck as you probably have excess skin and fat and abdominal wall laxity from having 6 children. As long as you do not have any major health issue your surgery should go well. If you take any medication on a regular basis for a medical condition you should see you own medical doctor for clearance before the surgery.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

39 South Fullerton Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042

Tummy tuck after 6 kids is exactly what you need.

I see a lot of patients at your age and with your pregnancy history.  Once you have gotten to your desired living weight and have good exercise tolerance you are ready for the surgery.  It does take some time for recovery so be prepared but it will last you the rest of your life.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson 

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

676 South Bluff Street
St. George, UT 84770