5'4, 150lbs, 34A - Getting 425CC Implants: Would High Profile or Moderate Look More Natural?

I am 23 year old 5'4 in height 150lbs.I previously had breast augmentation 6 months ago but unfortunately I had a horrible ordeal.My implants became infected and had to be removed. I am about a 34A and I was given 550cc hp implants filled to 600cc which was of course way to large for my body.I plan on getting 400cc filled to 425cc but I want to know will this still be to large and I am not sure if I should go with high or low profile implants?

Breast shape is determined by how surgery is done, not by implant shape.

+2

How to pick breast implants:

Article by George J. Beraka, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation

Natural look

+2

The higher profile implants give more superior pole fullness, which tends to give more of a "Baywatch"/stripper look which most people would describe as "not natural".  

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Breast implant size and type?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

For a natural look smaller implant

+1
You had implant infection and there is scarring from that.This will limit the breast expansion with implant. You will need go smaller and may be moderate plus implant. Your breast tissue is high on your chest and high profile implant will give you too much projection. I offer fat grafting for patients that had implant problems and only want one size bigger.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Natural looking breast implants

+1
Dear Anansi, To achieve natural looking breasts with implants the ideal implant would be a shaped gel(silicone)implant that slopes like a natural breast but these implants are not yet available in the States. However you can still achieve a natural looking breast with an appropriately sized implant. Measurements of your breast width and assesment of your skin elasticity should help determine a suitable implant size for you. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Natural looking implants

+1

It all depends on how you define natural. Once you put in implants, you are not natural. In general, the lower the profile, the less unnatural you will look. But it is not the only element that influences "naturalness."

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD