I'm 53yrs Size 38E. I've Lost 50lbs and Want to Lose 40 more. Can I Have Breast Reduction Now or Wait?

Can I Have Breast Reduction Now or Wait?

+1

Ideally you would want to be at your goal weight before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Typically patients who have a significant weigh loss similar to yours (around 100lbs) will combine cosmetic surgeries....i.e. tummy tuck, body lift etc. once they have reached their goal weight.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and weight reduction

+1

If you are planning to have significant weight loss, it is probably best to wait until that is accomplished before undergoing a breast reduction.

Breast reduction during weight loss

+1
First, congratulations on the successful dieting. I would recommend that you wait until you have reached and stabilized at your goal weight for the best result. In the meantime, you should research and attempt to comply with the insurance company's preauthorization requirements, which may include physical therapy or other conservative management so that when you are ready for surgery, your plastic surgeon will be able to obtain a quick preauthorization on your behalf.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Timing of Breast Reduction in Relation to Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Although you could undergo breast reduction surgery at this point,  you will be best off waiting to have the procedure done when you have reached your long-term stable weight. Timing the procedure in this fashion will help minimize the risks of the procedure and help minimize the chances that furthers surgery will be necessary after additional weight loss.

When the time is right, consult with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons and ask to see lots of examples of their work.  Depending on your health status, you may also benefit from a preoperative workup/ optimization by your family practitioner or internist.

Best wishes as you reach your goals.  I hope you stay motivated;  both a healthier lifestyle and breast reduction surgery tend to be very  worthwhile goals...