At 5'3 What Should Be my Ideal Weight Before Liposuction?

I had a baby 6 months back and I am currently at 155pounds. My goal is to be at 145 before my surgery because I am being told that I will lose more weight post surgery and I dont want to look to skinny. Is this where my weight should be at or should I lose more? Ideally i'd like to be at 125-130pounds

Liposuction - Ideal Weight Before Having Surgery?

+2

First of all, congrats on the baby!  In terms of "ideal" weight, there are many formulas that are used but without knowing what your frame like it's hard to make a suggestion.  Perhaps your MD can help with this.  However, I do generally recommend that patients' should be at or near the lowest weight that they think they can reasonably maintain before proceeding with surgery.  The goal is not to undergo a crash diet, have surgery and then slowly put it back on - that may defeat the purpose of the surgery.  Just do your best to get as low as you can comfortably get, and then go ahead and have your procedure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

+1

I think the amount of weight loss form liposuction is small so I think you should be better off getting closer to your desired body weight of 130 pounds.

Liposuction

+1

Ideally, it is always better to get down to your goal weight before having liposuction so that the irregularities in contour can be treated adequately. If you lose more weight after liposuction, there may be potential for what woudl look like over treatment.

Liposuction

+1

As long as you are not morbidly obese and as long as your weight is stable the actual number is almost irrelevant. If your activity level and diet do not change after surgery there is no reason why you would lose more weight after surgery.

I think you are going about this the wrong way. Liposuction is a means of changing surface contours it is not a weight control procedure. When performed as a weight control procedure it is associated with more complications including death. The way to approach liposuction surgery is to desire to get rid of a double chin or love handles i.e. change surface contours. The way you are going about this makes you a bad candidate for liposuction surgery and you should not have the surgery until you have a specific area of contour you want addressed and by which a surgical result can be judged i.e. the double chin is gone. The route you are going will result in a complication and/or an unhappy patient.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Weight before Liposuction?

+1

It will be in your best interest to be as close as possible to your long-term stable weight prior to any type of plastic surgical procedure,  including liposuction surgery. Do not expect any significant weight loss to result from the procedure.

I would suggest in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction.htm

Ideal weight

+1

I like patients to be at a stable weight or within 10% of their goal weight in general. Liposuction is best for areas that do not repsond to weight loss

Liposuction is body shaping procedure, not a weight loss procedure.

+1

Try to achieve the most ideal weight you are capable of achieving and then use liposuction to help you achieve the optimum body contour.    It would not be safe or possible to try to remove 10 pounds of fat from a person who weights 155 pounds. 

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't need to be at ideal weight for liposuction.

+1

Hi.

If you have fat bulges that you don't like, you can have liposuction now.  You will still be a little overweight afterwards, but your shape will be much better.  And sometimes, improved shape can encourage you to lose more weight.  

Liposuction not ideal for weight loss

+1

I have to agree with my colleague. Liposuction should only be considered for 'trouble areas' and not be used as a weight loss aid. Best wishes, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight before liposuction

+1
Liposuction isn't a substitute for weight loss. That said, if you reach a weight at which you are personally comfortable, then you'd be a candidate for liposuction. If your goal is 125-130, then you shouldn't have the procedure until you've reached and maintained it because, otherwise you could have skin sag afterwards. You will lose a minimum amount of poundage from the liposuction, which is much more about body contouring and shape. Only you can know what weight level is appropriate for you in terms of body image and a weight which you are likely to maintain over the long run.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.