I Am 5'3 and 168 Pounds, I Want a Tummy Tuck I Workout but Can't Lose the Midsection?

i used to weigh 110 pound until my third baby am now 168. I workout, but cannot lose the midsection. My legs and thighs look great and my chest is a size 38 DD but my stomach area is herendous. I am super worried that i am not going to be able to lose it. I just had a mass removed from my abdomen area and cannot work on my stomach or lift weights- should I wait until I am able to, to see if that changes anything? I have given up on being a size 0 or 2 again- but am concerned with this stomach.

Exercise may not create a flat abdomen.

+1

I'm not really sure what question you're asking the situation you're in. If it's possible to get a flat abdomen after exercise I would suggest you pursue this. However she had children with flaccid skin and fascia only in abdominoplasty will yield a flat abdomen.

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) and Weight Loss

+1

It is recommended to exercise and diet to get as close as possible to goal weight prior to undergoing abdominoplasty.  A tummy tuck should not be considered as a weight loss procedure.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

The tummy tuck will address your needs nicely.  The amount of time to wait after your mass removal is largely dependent upon the nature of that surgery.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck after childbirth

+1

In spite of diet and exercise some momen can not loose the accumulated fat and/or excess and redundant skin of their abdomen. It seems like you will fall in that category.I assume the mass which was  removed from your abdomen was a benign tumor, however you did not give us enough information about it. You should deffer your surgery until complete recovery from your latest operation. A three to six month interval may be a reasonable time.  

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Reduces the Midsection

+1

You sound like a great candidate for a Tummy Tuck.  Schedule an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your concerns and expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummy Tuck Reduces the Midsection

+1

Congratulations on your new addition.  After having three children one often gains a little extra skin around that midsection that can be addressed with a tummy tuck. A full examination by a plastic surgeon is needed before as well as a clean bill of health.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Addressing the midsection with a tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a great way to lose your midsection.  It helps to remove the excess skin and fat while tightening the muscles at the same time.  It's hard to give you a good answer without seeing you, but is sounds like you're a great tummy tuck candidate!  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery; the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

As you know, it is always best to undergo body contouring surgery once you have reached a “long-term stable weight”. Sometimes, patients benefit from professional help from physicians, personal trainers, and/or dietitians once they have done their best and have reached a plateau with diet and exercise.

When the time is right, to seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients in your situation. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you educate yourself about the procedure. I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Localized abdominal bulge corrected with tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

Hard to be sure without examining you, but you sound like a good candidate for abdominoplasty.  Excess skin and fat in the belly does not usually respond to exercise. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wants a tummy tuck

+1

First things first. You need to recover from your recent surgery. I'm not sure what kind of mass had to be removed but you need to check with that surgeon to get cleared to resume exercise. Then, I would suggest trying to get a bit more fit for about 3 months before you had a tummy tuck. That time will help you in your next recovery. It's not too early however to get some consultations. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD