Will Gaining Weight Be Problematic After Tummy Tuck?

Im 5'2 and weigh 88lb. I had twins 9 months ago and then under went a full tummy tuck (no lipo) and muscle repair/tightening 4 weeks ago. My friends and family are constantly telling me i look too thin and need to gain about 10-12lb. I have always been quite slim but now im scared that if i gain this weight i will undo the benefits of my surgery and my final result will not be as good. Am i correct in thinking this? Please advise.

Gaining weight after tummy tuck

+2

It is not uncommon for patients weight to fluctuate after a surgical procedure.  As long as it is not a drastic weight increase, but within your goal of 10-15 pounds, it should have very little effect on your surgical outcome.

Healthy Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

+2

The question is since you have been slim all your life can you actually gain 10-12lbs. It may be quiet difficult for you to do so.

• Gaining 10-12lbs after a tummy tuck will not undo the benefits of a tummy tuck.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

+2

Tummy tuck is designed to remove excess abodminal skin and tighten the abdominal muscles. Usually, if you gain 5-12 lbls after your tummy tuck you should not see any significant difference, but if you gain much weight you can accumulate the fat in your hips and breasts which can make you look un-porportionate. To lessen the risk of this I usually perfom liposuction of the flanks and the lower back along with tummy tuck.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

+1
Your results won't become undone with weight gain, however if you lose what you've gained in the future, that may. However, if you maintain that 10-12lb gain, then you should be okay.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck

+1

A reasonable amount of weight gain after the tummy tuck surgery will not necessarily be a problem. Fluctuation of a significant amount of weight ( weight gain and loss)  could potentially change your results.

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

+1

If you currently weigh 88 pounds and are 5'2" in height, you should not be concerned about a weight gain of  10-12 pounds.  I do not feel that this degree of weight gain will adversely affect the benefits of your tummy tuck.  Your friends and family probably have a right to some concern as this weight is abnormally low for your height and age.

John Whitt, MD

Gaining Weight After Tummy Tuck

+1

At you current weight of 88 lbs on a 5'2" frame, certainly this will not be a major concern.  Adding some weight can give you a healthier appearance, and it should not adversely impact your appearance. Significant weight gain can result in unwanted stretch of the skin and muscle repair, but this would be significantly more weight that what you are describing. The biggest issue relating to the disruption of tummy tuck results is a subsequent pregnancy as this will change your body, despite the previous abdominoplasty.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Should you gain weight after tummy tuck

+1

With a current weight of just 88 pounds, a gain to 100 pounds certainly will not harm your tummy tuck result. If you are too thin the contour can improve and give you a less bony look. The best person to guide you is your family physician or OB. You should maintain a reasonable body fat for good health.

peterejohnsonmd

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

If 88 pounds is your baseline weight, I do not think you would see a substantial change in your tummy tuck result, unless you gained over 20 pounds.    I think a 10 pound weight gain will not alter your result.    

It is rare that my patients plan to gain weight, usually its the opposite.   I would recommend consultation with a dietician, such that the weight gain is done in a healthy fashion.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Weight Gain After a Tummy Tuck

+1

It is always important to try to lose or gain weight in the healthiest way by consulting a nutritionist. Your Tummy Tuck should not be affected by a small amount of weight gain. It sounds, from your inquiry, that you had children that caused the need for the Tummy Tuck. The muscle repair should remain in tact unless you decide to have more children. In that case you should consult with your doctor.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD