I Am 52, Size 36H, Weight 150, Need a Reduction, Does my Risk Increases with Age? No Health Issue

Breast reduction risk and age.

+1
Some of our breast reduction patients are the happiest that we have in the practice. These are the women with significant bra strapping, back and neck pain. If you are going to reduce the size of the breast significantly, you most likely will have scars. Scars are permanent. They end to fade over time. We have our patients keep the scars away from UV light, and use scar cream. We can talk about scar revision, but usually wait at least a year. Usually the health of the patient and how they take care of the scars has much more to do with the outcome than age. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

+1

Statistically you do not have any increased risk for a breast reduction because of your age.  However, in my practice every lady over 50 years old needs to get a complete work-up by an internist and be cleared for surgery, health issue or not.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Any patient in good health is a suitable candidate for breast reduction regardless of age.

+1

At age 52 if you are in good health there is no reason not to proceed with breast reduction. I've operated on women in their 70s who did quite well.

Breast reduction at 52 years old...

+1

is considered safe if your health is good.  As for infection, I've never seen any worrisome infections in reductions in my 'elderly' patients.  Wound healing issues such as small wounds are quite common, depending on what technique is used but everything heals with time and wound care.  I think your quality of life could be improved with a reduction, regardless of the potential for more infections and is a risk my patients take every day.

Curtis Wong, MD

Age, Health and Breast Reduction

+1

A recent study out of Johns Hopkins showed that advanced age may adversely affect outcomes in  breast reduction surgery. Specifically, older women were more likely to experience infection after a breast reduction. Furthermore, the study found a trend towards an increase in wound infections. Before deciding on whether a breast reduction is right for you, it is important that you seek consultation with an ASAPS (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon to allow him to understand your medical history and make an accurate assessment of your health to mitigate your risks for surgery so that you have the best possible outcome.

Dan Mills, MD

Health is the most important factor

+1

Eurasia 52 does not make you a high-risk surgery. Your health is the most important determinant whether surgery is appropriate or not. You should be a candidate for breast reduction.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast reduction and age

+1

Certainly as you get older there is a potential for more issues to develop but that is based on the fact that as we age we have more medical issues. If you are healthy, there does not appear to be any siginificant risk greater than anyone else.  Good luck.

Age as a risk factor in breast reduction surgery

+1

Age in and of itself is not a significant risk factor for surgery.  A thorough medical examination is needed to determine overall risk so that you can make an informed decision.  

Breast Reduction is safe if you are healthy...

+1

Breast Reduction (also known as reduction mammoplasty) is safe and recommended if your breasts excessive weight and size are causing back and neck pain, breast pain, changes in posture, interference with daily activities or you are just feeling self-conscious.  Age alone is not an issue so as long as you are healthy and proper work up is performed to make sure you are optimized for surgery.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area who shows you many before and after pictures of patients similar to you with outcomes you like for a proper evaluation. Breast of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast reduction Risks

+1

If you are 52 and have no health issues, then your risks are the same as a 32 year old.

Risks of complications are related to the amount of breast that needs to be reduced, your smoking status and of course your general health.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon