55lb Weight Loss on HCG Diet - Am I a Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'2 & 185lbs. I lost 55+lbs on the HCG diet since 11/2010. Have a huge appendectomy scar (done in the 1990s) as well as 2 cesarean scar. I am 25 yrs old & done having kids. All of my weight is carried in the area below my belly button & in my love handle areas. Would I be satisfied with a FTT at this current weight? This weight is maintainable for me & I'm ok w/this weight. Plz see my pictures to see what I am referring to when I say where all my weight is carried. Do you think I would have a good outcome

5ft 2in and 185 lbs after 55 lbs. weight loss--ready for tummy tuck?

+2

Congratulations on your great results so far!

But, as others have already stated, you are still overweight, and some of this weight is INSIDE the abdomen and will reduce the degree of abdominal wall tightening and the degree of improvement possible. Though you have a large pannus (apron of skin and fat) hanging over the pubic area, and would love to see that gone, your intrabdominal bulk will not allow your abdomen to become as flat as you might be imagining in your mind!

Thus, losing more weight would be VERY helpful to your overall result, if you are capable of safely losing that weight, keeping it off, and being on a healthy diet that would facilitate healing after surgery. Do this if you can!

However, the reality for many patients (perhaps you are one of these) is that they reach a plateau, and no amount of encouragement or further dieting or plastic surgical inducements help them lose any more weight. There they are, stuck at a weight that some surgeons refuse to operate at, when there are still substantial benefits to be obtained (though not as many as if you can lose the total weight, inside and out).

If you are at the best weight you can attain, your photograph suggests that an extended tummy tuck would yield the best results, since your loose skin extends to your hips, and liposuction of the hip (flank) area would yield additional improvement and help to smooth the transition from the abdomen to the buttocks.

So, yes, you can have a good outcome with this plan! But you could have an even better one with additional weight loss! Go for it if you can, and good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Overweight patients benefit by abdominoplasty.

+2

Hi.

I have a different perspective. Not everybody can be thin, and you say that you are OK with your current weight. So I think you will look and feel better after an abdominoplasty, and I would recommend it. Of course, you will still be overweight after wards, but you will have a flat stomach.

I would also do liposuction of your love handles.  Your new look may well motivate you to lose even more weight.

Since you need quite a bit of liposuction, you should have a "minimal undermining" technique of tummy tuck to preserve intact blood supply to the skin.

There is a somewhat higher risk of complications in overweight patient, but appropriate precautions can be taken.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Weight loss and Tummy Tuck

+2

Congratulations on your 55 lb. weight loss. You are half way to where you need to be. Although you say you are satisfied where you are, you should not be. Your BMI is still 34 which puts you in a category that markedly increases your health risks. If you can lose 55 lbs., you can lose the rest down to the top of your ideal, 131 lb. or close. Once you are stabilized for a while at a weight around 131 lb., then you will be an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty. At this time, tummy tuck is reasonable only if you cannot continue your excellent weight loss. As I said, because of what you have done, there is no reason that you cannot obtain the 131 lb., unless you simply lose your focus.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+2

Based on your pictures, you look to be a good candidate for tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  However, if you are still planning on loosing weight, you should reach your target goal and then have surgery.  However if your target is not realistic and you are truly at your steady state weight, then go ahead and have surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

You are getting there

+2

Your BMI is still over 30, below  which is the ideal for a tummy tuck. So far you are doing well, but at your height you still have a ways to go. If you got your weight down another 20 pounds and stayed at that weight learning how to eat right, you would be a perfect candidate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1
Congratulations on the weight loss. Surgeons have different preferences for body contouring procedures based on expertise and experience. For optimal results, surgeons would like to you to get closer to your ideal weight. However, that may not be possible for all patients. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeons, and choose the 1 that best fits your goals/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Your Tummy Tuck results will be better after further weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your superb job losing 55 pounds. You certainly can have a Tummy Tuck now with liposuction of the flank area. However in all honesty, if you can lose more weight the results of your Tummy Tuck will be better.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Weight (Wait) for your tummy tuck!

+1

Simply enough you are not ready for a great tummy tuck yet.  You have done great but are still very overweight and you can see the fat inside the abdomen buldging out above the belly button in your photo.  Until your upper abdomen thins out, you can't get the truly great result you want and deserve.  Keep going and wait until you can hold the weight off for at least 4-6 months to prove the weight loss is real and not just HCG.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after 55lb wt loss

+1

As others have said here, you are to be congratulated for your weight loss, that is a real achievement. While everyone is a better candidate for an abdominoplasty at their ideal weight, it is impossible for many to get there. So with that in mind and with realistic expectations I think you can have a very nice result, but with all the extratissue in your "love handles" I would urge you to consider an extended abdominoplasty, where that tissue is actually cut out, leaving a very nice waistline, albeit with the trade off of a longer scar. Remember that patients loose weight after the procedure as well Talk to you plastic surgeon about this. Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Hcg and weight loss

+1

the more weight you lose, the better your result will be.  i would prefer that you have stabilized your weight before surgery. it looks loke you are getting about the same answer from everyone,  so keep up the good work!

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon