I'm getting implants in two weeks, have I chosen the right implant size?

I am 41. 2 weeks away from surgery and I am starting to wonder about my choice.I was a 36c pre children.I am now a 36b.I have a 31RC. I have some sag, aereola's are right at limit line. I chose to go with 510,moderate profile,silicone implants to "fill me up" without all the scars. I realize that eventually I will get a lift.I am hoping to be a D...rather not fall into the DD catagory, but realize that it is the lesser of two evils for me. less scars, more chest.I do like look of Kim Kardashion.

Choosing the right implant size

+1

Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc…It is difficult to determine exact cup size pre-operatively. Every manufacturer produces a variety of bra styles, which may differ in size and shape.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

It is best to determine optimal breast implants sizing with your surgeon.  Many factors determine the optima breast implant size.  The factors include, present breast size, breast measurements, skin envelope and patient desires.  A trial of breast implant sizers can also be used in consultation. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Posted photos are of you not your breasts! My guess is that size will be a good choice but I might suggest at least a 550 to 500 HP. 

Correct Breast Implant Size

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

It is difficult to give you an opinion with any degree of confidence without examining you firsthand.  The ideal sized breast implant for any given person is dependent on several factors, including dimensions of chest, soft-tissue quality, and desired outcomes by the patient.  Certainly, a breast augmentation is never a substitute for a breast lift if ptosis is the primary aesthetic deficit of the breast. The correct procedure should always be performed for the primary  issue at hand. Substituting a breast augmentation for the correct procedure (breast lift) may "buy you time", but ultimately the short-term result will be compromised. I suggest you return to your surgeon and further discuss the short, intermediate, and long-term goals as well as review with him/her the risks and benefits of undergoing a breast augmentation in place of a breast lift.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Concerns about implant size and desire to avoid a mastopexy

+1

Without photos, one can't make an accurate and useful conjecture. If you already have drooping, going larger to compensate for this particularly if the implants are placed in a submammary position is a BIG mistake as it will accelerate drooping and thin out your skin even more. Instead, if a mastopexy is indicated then it should be done.

As regards size, I would recommend that you leave the final decision in the hands of your plastic surgeon as to what would best give you the results that you seem to want. What size that would be can not be determined through a forum like this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Choosing the Right Implant Size

+1

None of my patients want to have the scar associated with a lift before surgery, but almost none of them ever complain after surgery.  It is the most worried about non-issue in breast surgery. The key in a successful surgery is not planning on when you are going to have your next surgery, but choosing the RIGHT surgery in the first place. If you need a lift, then have the lift.  Getting larger implants to "fill you up" is likely going to lead to additional skin stretch and then an ever more extensive breast lift later on.  Discuss this in detail with your surgeon, and choose the procedure based on a sound, long term correction.  The costs and scars associated with the wrong procedure can be much more involved.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast Implants San Diego

+1

It is impossible to know whether you've chosen the "right size" before surgery, but then again, the right size in one outfit may not be the right size in another.  The right size at the beach may not be the right size at work.   In the end, the right size depends not only on your pre-existing breast glandular volume, but breast width, skin envelope, personal desired final result, lifestyle, etc.  If you are uncertain, go BACK to your surgeon, try on more implants, and discuss further.  It is much better to understand everything you can about your expected result before the procedure than wish you had understood after the procedure.

Steve Laverson, MD

Doubt about implant size prior to surgery

+1

If you have doubts about your choice of implant size, go back to your plastic surgeon's office, get remeasured, try on sizers, discuss your concerns. You should be going into your surgery with confidence, trust in your surgeon and NO doubts in your mind. A cup size is about 150-200cc.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Double check the profile

+1

When it comes to implants, there are different names given to the projection of the implants by the two different implant companies.  A 510 moderate profile silicone implant (Allergan) is a lower projecting implant with a 15.1 cm base.  I think you get more illusion of a lift with a higher profile (either Allergan's midrange or high profile) than with the shorter implants.  From the pictures, you might consider a more narrow implant to fit your breast base width, but that would be more based on what we would find on physical exam.   Either way, talk to your surgeon about your concerns and you can usually trust in their recommendations.

Good luck.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+1

Hello Shan 13,

There is no need to be 'filled up' with a larger than desired implant because you have chosen to not do what's best for you, which is getting a breast lift.  Just get the right sized implant; it won't make a difference in your post operative appearance other than size.  Either way, you will still look droopy, with your nipple in the wrong position on your breast mound and too much upper pole fullness.

You should go back to your plastic surgeon and try sizing with implants in your bra, wearing a few different tops, and looking in a full length mirror.  This is the best way to pick the appropriately sized implant for you.  I think 510 cc might make you proportionately larger than your desired model.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS