5'2 & 125lbs Doc. Says 475cc Implant is Too Big? (photo)

I'm 21 years old & I have a 10month old son. My breast are not bad just deflated & stretch marks after pregnancy(breast fed for 1month only). I am now wearing 34C. I want more volume & bigger then before. I went to my consultation & picked 475cc. I got a call from the nurse & she said my doctor said that is too big & could cause implant to go to side? Please help. 5'2 125lbs (PS said my breast are perfect shape & for BA)

Breast augmentation

+2

Hi, congratulations on your decision to have breat augmentation surgery. I don't know how you came up with the 475cc decision but if it was from pictures or friends, you need t.o understand that you may not get the same look on your chest. There is a reason there are so many implants made! As per the other posters ,I agree, it has to do with your chest wall measurement to find the most appropriate implant for you. It also depends on silicone or saline implants and on the profile of the implant. I mainly use high profile in silicone and moderate in saline. A 475 silicone high profile implant may not be too big. My implant provider has an age requirement of 22 years old for silicone implants.

Picking a Breast Implant Size

+2

The largest breast implant you should choose depends on your own goals, but it also depends on certain breast measurements: the breast width and the amount of available skin to stretch. Another factor is the presence of stretch marks, which means your breast skin has lost some elasticity. It is reasonable to ask your doctor why 475cc are too big, but based on your photos, I would agree. A 475cc implant is large and heavy enough to cause significant long-term sagging if your skin has poor elasticity, and the stretch marks suggest that you would be prone to this problem. He is also right that you have a very nice breast shape, so with the proper size selection you should get a good result.

Joseph Fata, MD

Choosing implant size

+1
I use a technique called dimensional breast augmentation which involves taking in a number of factors and measurements, so each patient is unique. That being said, given your height, weight, and your activity level, along with the fact you are considering a lift, I would say you are probably not that far off in choosing an implant in that range. Best thing to do is to see a qualified plastic surgeon that has good breast expertise.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

475cc is a large implant for 5'2", #125

+1

It would be good for you to go back to your surgeon to discuss specifically why he/she thinks 475cc is too large.  I would admit that 475cc is a big implant. It may also be too wide for your measurments. Also, be informed that large implants (greater than 400cc) are associated with an increased long term complication rate such as tissue thinning, implant rippling, sagging, heaviness and sometimes pain. Go back for a second visit and discuss. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Picking the right size for you

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant size for 34c after pregnancy

+1

just depends on how large you want to be.   475cc will make you more than a 34 dd ..your breast point to the sides now and will continue to do so..   large implants are heavy and can cause stretch marks..

your body  your choic

Choosing the right implant size

+1

Hi, thanks for your question.  It is a common question among women wanting breast implants.  Choosing an implant size depends on 1) patient's desire, 2) patient's body - height, weight, amount of breast tissue/skin quality, chest width/height.  It is hard to give you a recommendation based on you photo.  Your plastic surgeon who has examined you would give the best  recommendation.  Based on your desire and your body, she/he would tell your 475cc would be feasible.  You may be able to have ~475cc if the implant is ultra-high (silicone) or high profile (saline).  Remember that as you go large with implant, it introduces more risks of sagging in the future.  

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Choosing implant size

+1

Ultimately the job of selecting the correct sized implant for a patient is up the the surgeon who will be performing the operation.  While you may like a certain size that size may just not be appropriate for you.  An implant that is too large for your chest and for your breast will distort the shape and could lead to problems that may lead to more surgery. That is not what you want to set yourself up for in the future.  The fact that you have stretch marks is an indicator that your skin elasticity has already been exceeded and a larger implant, which is heavier will tend to cause more stretching and sagging over time. Again this may lead to more surgery.

It is difficult if not impossible to look at photos and read a description of your height and weight and bra size and tell you what would be appropriate.  An examination is necessary and your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you while you are in the office what would be appropriate. I'm sure you will be happy with a somewhat smaller more appropriate sized implant if your surgeon feels the one you liked is too big.  Your breasts will still look better and fuller even with a somewhat smaller implant. The tradeoff: they will look better for longer.  Not so bad.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How to pick breast implants.

+1

Hi.  I hope you find this article helpful.  475 cc's too big.   Probably 350 cc's would be good.  Good luck!

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)