5'2, 118lbs Wanting a Full C: Will 397CC be Too Much?

im 5'2" and 118 lbs, i wanted to be close to a full C but im worried that 397cc silicone moderate plus profile implants might to big for me should i go with 371 ccs instead?

Implant size and cost

+1

Depending on the width of your chest, and how much natural tissue you have, then 397cc may push you close to the C/D border. 371 will probably give you a full C. There is minimal difference between these two, so really if you have narrowed to these two, either one will be fine.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Selecting breast implant size

+1

Breast augmentation may be performed with implants with wide range in volume as well as different projections. These factors will dermine the diameter of the implants as well as your post operative appearance. You should find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast augmentation for an in person consultation and thorough discussion of the procedure, your wishes and expectations.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

Hello Isababe 1016,

It would be impossible to recommend an implant size for  you with out a thorough examination of your anatomy, so I can not comment about one implant versus another.

However, keep in mind that choosing an implant that is inappropriately large for your anatomy is the most common mistake that plastic surgeons make (at the behest of their patients, who's only concern is the cup size after surgery); one that is costly for the patient and will most likely lead to an unexpected reoperation.

Pretty, long lasting results in breast augmentation surgery are gotten from a an appropriately sized implant (based on the patient's anatomy, nothing to do with subjective measures like proportion), that has preferably a medium or low profile, and is placed under the pectoralis major muscle.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

Very hard to advise based solely upon your written info, no photo posted. I would use a HP implant at the 350 to 400 cc range. Best of luck. 

If you want better result , go with smaller

+1
The goal of breast augmentation should not be just the size. In general smaller implants look more natural and have less complications. The size difference between 397and 371 is minimal( less than ounce). You can try 3D imaging for comparison.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizes

+1
The question isn't just the volume of the implant but rather the dimensions that are appropriate for your chest size. You would not want an implant that is too wide for your breast because this could show on the sides. I recommend you get sized by a board certified plastic surgeon to choose with you an implant that is appropriate for your body size and helps you attain your goals. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS