Will Breast Implant Incision Affect Milk Production?

I am 5'11, roughly 210 Ibs with smaller breasts than an A-cup. I am extremely uncomfortable in my own skin and have very low self confidence. I have been considering implants for a few years now. I just have a few concerns about future breast feeding (can I?) does the incision spot affect milk production? thank you

Breast augmentation incision does not affect future milk production

+3

Multiple scientific studies has not proved the "Myth" that periareolar incision  to stop milk production and breast feeding. The size of the implant and the technique the surgeon employs probably has more impact. Hope this was helpful.

Breast augmentation will not affect milk production.

+3

Hi.

You need to be sure that breast augmentation will actually get you to the right place psychologically.  What if your weight is just as big a problem?  And lots of women with small breasts have good self confidence.  Maybe you should try therapy before surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation Incision Affecting Breast Feeding???

+2

This has been looked at and the route that is taken to placing the implant, whether it is periareolar, transaxillary, inframammary or periumbilical, it really does not matter.  If you are are able to breast feed before the surgery, then you should be able to breast feed after the surgery, no matter what incision was used.

Also the incision is NOT linked to losing nipple sensation.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Incision location for breast augmentation should not inluence lactation

+2

One of the biggest myths out there is that the periareolar incision for breast implant placement (sometimes erroneously called "throught the nipple") has a higher risk of affecting sensation to the nipple or impairing the ability to breast feed. The risk is the same regardless of where the incision is placed. Implant size is actually the biggest factor. Problems with breast feeding are not predictable but you should not have worries about where the incision is made for the augmentation.

Richard Baxter, MD

BA Incision Site and Breast Feeding

+1
Good question.The incision site, specifically the periareolar incision may cause blocked milk ducts and decrease your ability to breast feed though in my experience most will still be able. See below reference with this data. Breast Implants do not alter significantly your ability to breast feed by themselves. it doesn't make any difference if your implants are above or below your muscle with regards to breast feeding potential. The incision site may however make a difference. The incision site, specifically the periareolar incision may cause blocked milk ducts and decrease your ability to breast feed though in my experience most will still be able.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

VIDEO below: Breast implant augmentation surgery and nursing or breast feeding and lactation

+1

I have prepared a VIDEO below on the topic of Breast implant augmentation surgery and nursing or breast feeding and lactation. A periareolar incision can transect breast ducts and potentially interfere with nursing. However, I have had several patients with this approach proceed to uncomplicated nursing.

+1

I agree with my colleagues. I have done Breast Augmentations through all possible access incisions and have not seen a difference in the women's breast feeding abilities. Moreover, I have seen quite a few women who had not difficulty breast feeding after breast augmentation with a periarteolar (around the nipple complex0 incision.

Dr. Aldea

Breast feeding with breast implants

+1

Most of my patients are women who are still considering having children in the future. Some women end up having problems breast feeding regardless of breast implants or not, so keep that in mind. I believe that placing the implants under the muscle makes for a more natural breast and hast the least interference with breast feeding.

Joseph G. Bauer, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Lactation and Breast augmentation

+1

9507, thanks for your enquiry.  As long as the periareolar incision is based around the inferior pole, lactation should not be impaired.  In my locale, I have noted some women who have had a periareolar incision around the superior pole (10-2 o'clock position) and many have had difficulty with subsequent lactation.  This makes sense if you consider that the majority of milk ducts converge in the area below the nipple and the majority are distributed in the upper portion of the areolar.  That being said, you have posed a loaded question because the ability to lactate isn't always correlated with the size of the mammary gland.  good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast implant incision and breast feeding

+1

The incision used for breast augmentation surgery should not impact breast feeding in any significant way.