510cc silicone implants. Are they too big?

I have a scheduled breast augmentation for next week. I just went to my Pre-op apt and we settle in a 510 cc silicone breast implant. I'm nervous it will be too big! I am 32 yrs old, 5'6" 140 lbs. and right now I am a B cup. I was hoping to get to a D cup, but do not really want to be larger than that. I am planning on going under the muscle. I am just hoping the implant will not be too big for me?!

Implant size

+1
510 cc implants is certainly on the large side.  I rarely go over 450 cc's and it makes most women a D cup.  Part of it depends on how large you want to be and how much if your own breast tissue you gave to begin with.

What Breast Implant Size is Too Big for Me

+1
The answer to your question really involves accurate assessment of your breast and chest dimensions, tissue thickness, original breast shape, as well as the stretchability of your breast tissue as a whole. The last thing you want to do is compensate for saggy, weak breast tissue by placing an implant that is over-sized for your dimensions. This weakens the tissue further and further and then you will require multiple complex revisions with additional scars. In general, 510 is a bit large for just about everyone, however there are exceptions to this, as in someone who is very wide chested. Once you go too big, there is no going back. My philosophy is that when in doubt, go smaller.  The video clip from The Doctors TV show, I discuss this philosophy and how it can help minimize trauma to the chest tissue allowing for improved recovery.
Good luck to you
DrG

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Breast aug

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedure and technique would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the best size silicone breast implant for your size?

+1
In order to determine the ideal breast implant size, I always have my patients who see me in my Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Office try on different size breast implants in special bras. In this fashion they can see for themselves how a specific breast implatn volume would look on them In my opinion a 510 cc silicone breast implant will give you a DD bra look when you are 140 lbs.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

+1
As we say constantly on this site, it is completely impossible to recommend a specific implant size for a patient without an exam. But if your doctor is going into the OR with only one size implant available, that's a big mistake. No one can know what a cetain implant will look like inside you until it is inside. That's why so many of the breast experts use intraoperative sizers.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Large implants

+1
As others have already stated, it would be impossible to answer your question accurately without additional information, such as photos, measurements or exam. However, I think I can safely assume you will be at least a D cup with such large implants. You should also understand that these implants have more weight than smaller ones. Depending how physically active you are, this will feel very different to you.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Are 500+ ccc implants too big?

+1
Everyone's breasts are unique - it is very hard to make an assessment without photos and measurements.   I use 3D imagine (Vectra) to discuss size, and it is such a helpful way for patients to visualize what their breasts will look like with implants (compared to looking at photos of someone else or putting implants in a bra).    If you are unsure, make an appointment to talk about size again with your plastic surgeon.  Take in before and after photos of what you like, what is too big or too small... and really discuss expectations. At the end of the day, there are never any "guarantees" of bra cup size, but you should feel confident going into surgery.

Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Michelle Spring, MD

510 cc

+1
Without photos and breast measurements, it is not really possible to offer a useful response to your question. Hopefully you have had the chance to try on sizer implants to get a rough idea of what you might look like with implants of that volume. 

There are no uniform standards of cup size. Estimates of size increase vary from one cup size for every 150 to 250 cc of implant volume. I would share your concern about winding up larger than you wish for. 

All the best.