I Am 5'10, 130lbs BWD is 14. Would HP 500-600cc Be Right For My Flat Chest? (photo)

I've had 5 children ranging in age from 11yo-10 months. I breast fed the last 3 for approx. 9 months each. I am a very FLAT A34/36 cup. I do have a little bit of sag. My waist is about 25 hips are 37. I am wanting to have breasts that resemble Jessa Hinton. If you google her you would see pics. I am thinking that because of my height and frame, I should go with an implant ranging from 500-600 cc's silicone, HP under the muscle. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Breast augmentation makes your breasts larger

+2

Thank you for your question. It appears that your breasts have shrunk considerably and that the skin is stretched out. Large implants such as a 500-600 cc HP silicone may look good in the short term, but here are some things to consider when selecting a large implant size for breast augmentation.

1. As you get older, your breast skin will age, stretch and become thinner even without an implant.  The larger any breast, augmented or not, the worse it will look over time due to skin stretching.

2. Adding any implant to your breast adds weight and will produce stretch and irreversible thinning of your breast tissues over time.

3. The larger the implant, the greater the amount of breast tissue stretch that will occur.

4. Adding excess weight to the breast almost guarantees that it will look worse over time, with increased stretch and sagging.  It is impossible to predict whether or when this will occur in any individual patient.

5. Adding weight to your breast with a large implant may cause you to need further surgery in the future, particularly mastopexy (breast lift) with additional visible scars and risks.  You will incur additional costs, time off work, risks, and trade-offs if additional surgery is necessary.

6. Excessive breast tissue stretch from a large implant can make you more likely to have surgical complications with healing problems if the tissues become very thin.

7. As breast tissues thin, You will definitely be able to feel your implant and portions of the implant may be visible through your skin and visible rippling or wrinkling may occur.

8. If excessive stretch or complications occur (and this is unpredictable), it may even become necessary to remove the implants, with compromise in the appearance of your breasts and probable visible scarring if breast lifting (mastopexy) is necessary when the implants are removed.

I think that having breasts that look like Jessa Hinton's long term is not realistic. I don't think that your breast tissue will be able to tolerate such a large implant.  You chances of rippling and further tissue thinning are high.

Determining the best breast implant size

+2

Let's break down your question into smaller pieces:

1. Implant contents: saline vs. silicone gel

For women with minimal breast tissue and subcutaneous fat (i.e. not much camouflage to cover the implants), silicone gel is often a good choice, as the rippling of saline implants may bother you.  

2. Implant type: moderate profile vs. high profile

In most women, I prefer moderate profile breast implants, as the ratio of implant diameter to projection usually looks very natural.  However, in a woman who desires an implant that is larger than her frame may comfortably fit, a high profile (HP) implant is a reasonable alternative.  The HP implants project more and may look less natural, though this is a look that some women like.

3. Implant position: above vs. below muscle

In the vast majority of women, I prefer to place implants below the pectoralis major muscle.  This reduces the risk of interference with mammograms, the risk of capsular contracture, the extent of  implant rippling that can be felt or seen, and the risk of "bottoming out" of the implants.

4. Implant size

Without measurements of your breasts, I cannot accurately determine size.  However, as a rule of thumb, every 200 cc of implant volume will increase your bust by one cup size.  If you currently wear an A cup bra, 400 cc will typically get you to a C to full C.  600 cc will typically get you to a mid to large D.  

Bottom line: a 500 cc high profile submuscular silicone gel implant is probably a very reasonable choice.  However, 600 cc may be a little too large for your frame.

Ronald Friedman, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your frame and appearance of your breasts, I think you will have a very nice result after breast augmentation surgery.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between  the size of breast implants  and the resulting breast appearance. In other words, it is very difficult to predict exactly what size/model breast implant  will be necessary to " resemble Jessa Hinton"  as much as possible. Looking at that model's pictures,  it is likely that at least 450 mL silicone gel breast implant will be necessary-  more precise advice would require direct examination.

In planning your breast augmentation procedure it will be very important to communicate your  goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.   I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking"  etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. Placing breast implants on top of the skin ( pre-operative “sizing”) is not necessarily accurate either.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Choosing the correct breast implant

+1

When choosing a breast implant, there are a number of things to consider.  First of all for every 200 cc of volume, you will go up a cup size, so with a 500 to 600 cc implant you will most likely end up with a D cup.  The larger you go, however, the more likely you will have some sag to the breasts.  I would visit a plastic surgeon who offers 3D imaging to get a better idea of you will look like, also mentor corporation has very accurate sizers you can try to get an idea of what your result will be.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Large implants

+1

Thanks for your inquiry.  You are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation, but like many of the other surgeons who have posted in response to your question without an exam it is difficult to know if your tissues can handle such large implants.  Please seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Breast implant choices

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to tell you what would be best for you.  Remember the larger the implants the more likely they will sag sooner.

What size implants?

+1

Thank you for the pictures which show that you are an excellent candidate for implants. It is always a challenge to determine what size implants will give the desired result. You should have a frank discussion with your plastic surgeon about your goals and what he or she thinks will accomplish them. In my practice, I find that it is unusual to need 5-600 cc implants. I would suspect that they will be large enough to cause you back pain, problems with clothes fitting and will lead to sagging of your breasts with time. But these are all issues to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon as there is no substitute for an in person examination and evaluation. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Achieving the beautiful breasts you desire and the folly of committing to an implant before surgery

+1

Hi there-

These types of questions are so common on RealSelf, I have created an article that will help you understand the truth about this process and how to maximize your chances of being happy and safe:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast implants larger than 500 cc's are too big for most women.

+1

Hi.

Very large breast implants stretch out your tissues and age very badly. On my profile, there is an article about how to pick breast implants.  I hope you find it helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)