Opinion on Sizing For Asymmetry? (photo)

I am currently a 36B -34C and i have one breast slightly bigger than the other...I am going under the muscle and wanted to know if 500 to 550 cc is too much for my body.... I only want to be a small to medium size D. Should I go 450cc and 500cc?

How to choose appropriate implant size

+2

Choosing the appropriate implant is one of the more important factors in breast augmentation.  The implant has to be the appropriate size and the appropriate style (have appropriate dimensions).  The other important factor is creating correct implant pocket.  A surgeon should  not have one “cookie cutter” approach for choosing any one of the above. 

In your particular case placing an implant in the bra might  not be the best approach to determine what implant size you should use.  You need to communicate to your surgeon what you want to look like after surgery.  This could include choosing some photos of prior patients, wearing padded bra to demonstrate the look you want, etc.  An experienced and talented surgeon will try different size implants (so called “sizers”) during your surgery to determine what actual implant size will create the look that you want.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant size for D cup

+2

There are many factors which determine what the actual cup size is after augmentation.  It is not just the volume in cc.  It is difficult to know exactly how it will look until the actual implant or a sizer is inserted into the pocket.  Also it is important to determine what your idea of a mid D cup is compared to others or your surgeon.  Variables to consider are your rib cage anatomy, muscle position , thickness and tightness, skin laxity, the amount  and stretchiness of your breast tissue and skin. The implant diameter and profile will affect the appearance.  Also how you wear your bra, the type of bra you prefer and the bra manufacturer will affect the relative size.  You should have a discussion with your surgeon and perhaps bring in some pictures to have an understanding about what your goals are!  

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What size implant for breast augmentation?

+2

Nobody can really answer this question but you.  Consider your deep down preferences, try on various sizes, and choose what you believe to be the best.  Dimensions of the implant (width and profile) have more impact upon your final result than volume.   A 550cc full profile implant will look very different on you than a 550cc moderate profile implant.  Your surgeon should help you decide, and be with you during the selection process, in my opinion, to answer questions and inform you about your choices.  3D surgical simulation with the Axis Three Portrait is also helpful.  This device takes a photorealistic 3D picture of you, and allows the operator to insert various implants (all FDA approved implants are in the software except Biodimensional) and compare the results side by side BEFORE you commit and have surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Implant size for breast augmentation in los angeles

+2

looking at your pictures it seems that a 500-550 cc implant would make you look bigger than a small D. A 425-240 cc implant would probably be closure to what you want. You need to first try on differnet size breast implant in a bra in order to see how that would look on you.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Is 500- 550 cc too big?

+2

Thank you for your question.  Yes, as already answered, correlating a specific cup size with implant volume can be a difficult, tricky, if not impossible task.

If you are asking if the 500-550 cc looks okay, then, yes, I think is looks good. The 450-500 cc looks good too.

When you get into that size of an implant, a 50 cc change is only a 10 percent change in the size of the implant. Add to that the fact that you must also take into account the breast tissue that you already have which makes the total volume (your breast volume + implant volume) upwards of around 800, 900, or 1000 cc + or sometimes more.  At this level a difference of 50 cc becomes small relative to the total overall volume.  That's why 525 cc gel implants are not available but  500 cc and 550 cc are. 25 cc does not make much of a different at that point.

If you are really worried, ask your surgeon to order both and use sizers on the day of surgery. If you trust your surgeon, then let him or her make the call on the day of surgery.  Either way, I don't think that there will be a drastic difference.

The other question you want to ask yourself is..."Do I want to err on the side of being bigger or err on the side of being a little smaller?" Then, pick based on your answer to this question.

If you remain undecided, I recommend you return to your surgeon for resizing and ask more questions.  Internet commentary is no substitute for the doctor-patient relationship you have with your physician.  Good luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast implant size selection

+1

It is easy to get fixated on a certain size of implant or cup size of breast but it is very important to remember that  the final appearence of the breast and its relation to your body matters most.  Measure your breast width diameter and from this select some implants that match the general final cup size that you are looking for.  Try these implants in your doctors office under a tight T-shirt or sports bra and get an idea of which look you like most.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Bra sizing after breast augmentation with breast implants

+1

Best thing to do is try on your clothes with the different size breast implants on in the doctors office. I recommend tring on tight sweaters and blouses and dresses to see how you feel you look.

Laurie Casas, MD

Breast asymmetry and implants

+1

Specific cc size is best determined pre-operatively in the office after measuring, assessment of tissues and physical exam.  If you are using saline, they can be fine-tuned, as to ccs, during surgery.  When I perform surgery on a patient with asymmetry using silicone implants, I will frequently use temporary sizers so that the breasts will be as symmetric as possible.  

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Opinion on Sizing For Asymmetry? (photo)

+1

It's hard to give an absolute answer - and it may not be in your best interest to do so.

Choosing a breast implant is actually a fairly involved process - you have to consider many factors.  Enough so that I put together a video (see below) that addresses the major factors.

In general, it's ABOUT 5-7 ounces per bra cup size, with more if you're larger (taller is just one part of that), and less if you're smaller.  But you have to have enough skin...and then you still don't want to look too implanty (in general, again...).

But it is not possible to have this discussion without (at least) being able to see preop photos; being examined in person would be even more helpful for you.  In general, your frame looks as though that size implant may fit - but there's not way to know from these photos.  And, of course, the difference between a 450 cc and a 500 cc implant verges on being inconsequential (not entirely, but it's about 10% of the total size).

This whole thing, of course, is a discussion you have to have with a surgeon who can examine you in person.  Taking all the factors into consideration - size of implant, type, incision, location, style - is the best way to increase the likelihood that you'll get the result you want.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Implant size opinion

+1

I think there are many variables that we cannot see in a photo to determine what size cup you would be with the suggested implant. Also, without knowing your breast base width, ribcage width, and other measurements that a plastic surgeon would normally do prior to sizing an implant for a patient, it would be hard to say if you can tolerate the named implants without a problem. Sorry.

Julio Garcia, MD