I Am 50y Swimmer Golfer and Need to Do Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy. What is the Best Option for my Life Style?

I Am 50y Swimmer Golfer and Need to Do  Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy. What is  a Best Option for my Life Style  ?

Use Of Implants Makes Sense for Swimmer Golfer Breast Reconstruction

+2

Because of your active lifestyle, I would recommend use of a tissue expander if needed as a first stage followed by a breast implant or if your breasts are very small consider fat transfer. This would be favored instead of using a flap which could cause limitation of some of your activities.

Staying active after breast reconstruction

+2

The best procedure for an athletic patient who wishes to have as little as possible interference with her athletic ability is to have a procedure that does not affect any muscles

In my opinion the best option is to select a general surgeon who performs nipple sparing or skin sparing mastectomy with placement of an adjustable implant above the muscle

If the skin flaps are thick enough this may be sufficient.The adjustable saline implant may need to be replaced with a silicone gel implant at a later date

If the skin flaps are thin, the flaps may need to be augmented with acellular dermis ,mesh, or fat injections

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction after mastectomy

+2

Given your active lifestyle, some form of implant-based reconstruction with a modest sized implant should give you a nice result provided that you do not need radiaion therapy.

+2

The best option for breast reconstruction as a swimmer and golfer is to have a procedure (or procedures) that do not interrupt the muscles of your back or abdomen as you use those when you swim, golf, and do a lot of other physical activities.  Your best option is to have implants placed either immediately after a mastectomy or undergo placement of a tissue expander with a second surgery that places an implant after adequate expansion.  Your recovery time is not as lengthy and you'll maintain your strength.  If you do not feel that you have the best aesthetic result after implant placement (due to radiation of the breast, breast asymmetry with a contralateral, unaffected breast), you can then chose to undergo a greater procedure with the knowledge that you may disrupt your lifestyle to possible achieve a more natural look.  

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction options

+2

I would recommend that you consider nipple sparing mastectomy with a single stage implant reconstruction.  This reconstructive technique adds little to the recovery that you would have from the mastectomy, and preserves muscular function well.