Are 500cc Silicone Implants Too Big for a 6'0" Patient?

Hi! I am 6'0 tall and about 150 lbs. I have an appointment for a Breast Lift and Breast augmentation.

My doctor recommended a 500cc Silicone implant, but I'm having second thoughts. I already have a large amount of breast tissue. Is this size proportionate to my body size? I don't want to look unnatural or extreme.

Are 500cc breast implants too large 4 me? (photo)

+2

Please ladies, understand that implant DIMENSIONS are more important than volume.  A 500cc implant that is 15 cm wide is a flat, low profile device offering one cup size increase to a woman whose chest is broad.  A 500cc implant in a woman with 11.5 cm breast diameter is full, or ultra high profile, and will result in much more dramatic change.  From your photo and the information submitted (6' tall), depending on your desired result of course, I don't believe 500cc in and of itself is worrisome.  You've got plenty of skin to accommodate this size, and enough breast tissue to camouflage it.  The taller you are, the more volume you need to appear curvaceous.

Breast implant sizing

+2

You have a good bit of laxity and do need a full lift, not just periareolar, to elevate your breasts and tighten them. An implant will add volume. Under normal circumstances, a 500 cc implant could be fine for a 6' tall patient but becasue a lift tightens you and an implant stretches you, I am concerned that 500 cc is possibly too big to put in at the same time as the lift. It all depends on how much extra skin you have and I can't tell without examining you. Check with your experienced plastic surgeon to be sure.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.  In order to make an accurate recommendation.  I would need to do an exam with more measurements.

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast implant size

+1

When you meet with  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons, you should delineate your goals clearly. For example you may want the nipple-areola  to sit higher on the breast mounds- this may require breast lifting surgery.

In regards to breast size, the more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size.
If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.
The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size.

500 cc implants

+1

It is hard to say whether or not the volume you selected would be best to reach the desired size. You can do a baggy test of try sizers on to see how the volume fits in a bra for you.  I think you also will need a lift.

Breast augmentation, fat grafting, silicone implants

+1

Dear Misscouture,

It appears from your photo that an implant alone may not give you the ideal breast shape. The laxity of your breast tissue would give the appearance of round droppy shape and the areolas would enlarge. The trade off is a scar from the lift surgery.

Trevor M. Born, MD

The right breast implant size is the one that will make you happy

+1

Hi Miss Couture

The real question is, how big would you like your breasts to be?

You do have some drooping which has to be considered in your decision. You might choose to have a larger implant and a larger breast in order to minimize the scars of a lift. Or, you might prefer a smaller breast (obviously still larger than your current breast size) and elect to have a somewhat smaller implant and more of a lift. Nobody likes scars, but I never recommend that a woman elect to have a bigger breast than she would really like, just for the sake of minimizing the scars.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Implant Selection for Breast Augmentation

+1

Volume alone is not the best way to predict your final post augmentation size. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Given that you will also require lift, it may be prudent to be conservative with your augmentation.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast lifts and implants?

+1

A 500 cc breast implant is tradiitionally a large implant for the average augmentation patient. However, you are not the average height patient. Therefore, it could be proportionate for your size. Your best option is to try a sizer in an elastic bra to try this on for size and assess how you look in a bra or outfit.

IF you proceed with a lift and implants, this is a slightly more complicated procedure and this could result in recurrent laxity or distortion of the scars.