For A Natural Look, is 500cc Modereate Plus Profile Silicone Implant Too Big? (photo)

I'm 5'8 and my weight is 155-160 pounds; my bras size is 36 B. I had one pregnacy, I breastfeed my baby for 3 month. I hve a consultation with a doctor, she recomnded 400cc moderate plus silicon implant, under the muscle; but I think I want to go 500cc moderate plus silicon implant. I really want a natural look, nothing over the top, but I dont want to go to small either. Will 500cc moderate plus be to big for me?

Breast implant size for a natural look

+3

You have many issues to consider based on the photos:

1. you have drooping or ptosis
  2. any impant over 450 is a very large impalnt
  3. your breast will be heavy
  4. they will sag quicker
  5. they will look like larger sagging versions of your breasts
  6. you should consider a lift and smaller implant
  7. NATURAL is a relative term.   these implants may make you look naturally large and sagging

Breast implants size, how to decide what is an appropriate size

+2

Thanks for your question.

The appropriate size of the implant can be best determined best by the dimension of your chest wall, diameter of the breast and the amount of your breast tissue.

In addition, the diameter and the projection of the implant determines the cup  size.

As you probably have experienced in the past, the cup size depends on the manufacturers and designer of the bra. For example, you may go to two different store on the same day and could be given two cup sizes. 

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who frequently performs breast augmentation can help you decide on appropriate size.

We assist our patients decide on the size by having them try different size implants in a stretchy bra which can be very helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

For a natural look, is 500cc implant too big?

+2

Have you tried a 500cc implant in a stretch bra, so you can get some idea of what size breast mound it will create when added to the breast tisue you already have? Although this may not be absolutely 100% accurate, it is better than talking numbers without having any visual information to associate with it.  A 500cc implant is pretty large, but that may be what you are looking for.  In addition to having patients try sizers on and choose a size or range of sizes TO AIM FOR, we try the sizers in the breast pocket during surgery and get a more accurate picture of whether that size will work. We will have discussed with the patient preoperatively what contour goals they have (how much upper pole fullness and how natural or unnatural a contour they desire), and patients can bring in photos to help us understand what breast shapes they like and are seeking.  We may aim for a chosen size, but patients give us permission to go down in size if the implant is too tight and the resulting contour will not be what they are hoping for.

By the way, your breasts look somewhat ptotic (hanging down with a low nipple position), but it is hard to tell from a photo without examining you where your nipples are in relation to the level of the underlying inframammary crease.  You also appear to have a left nipple lower than the right, with little to no skin visible on a frontal view of the breast below the left areola. Please be aware that implants fill out the breasts, they do not lift them.  If your breasts are hanging too far below the crease, they will hang off the implant. If the nipples are too low, they may reside at the bottom of your breasts and point downward.  If you have nipple asymmetry preop, this will persist postop.  The only procedure that addresses these issues is a breast lift.  Since you do not mention a breast lift, I am assuming that this has not been discussed.  Just make sure you understand what augmentation does and does not do, and that your expectations are in line with what can be delivered.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Natural look for augmentation

+2

People often ask me similar questions.You of course understand what one patient feels is too small another feels is too big. The subjective nature of the question and answer require a prolonged discussion with your surgeon, I find computer images helpful.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Breat augmentation after pregnancy

+2

Size is certainly an important consideration but location of the implant is equally critical.  In your case your implants should NOT be placed below the muscle.  The muscle will isolate the implant from your breast and in a few years the two components will separate: the implant will stay high on the chest, held there by the muscle, and your breast tissues will fall.  This is an unnatural situation and will require more surgery.

Gel implants are so soft and natural that they are very nicely tolerated behind the breast (on top of the muscle).  In this location the breast volume you already have and the new volume of the implant will move together, naturally, whether you are dancing naked on a trampoline or slowly gettng older and obeying the law of gravity.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

500cc may not be too big

+2

The 500cc implant is large and full though given your height and weight, and adequate skin envelope the implant is likely to fit and work for you if you indeed want that much volume. If you have a good photo of the look you are after it might convince your surgeon to 'push' the volume a bit.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Will 500cc implant be too big

+2

Judging from your frame 500 cc's won't be too big. In my experience, the moderate plus implants underperform when it comes to projection so be open to a high profile silicone gel implant (Natrelle Style 20). The implants become teardrop shaped in the upright position and a very natural look is possible! Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing?

+2

Communication with your plastic surgeon will be key to achieving the results you are looking for. Unfortunately, the use of words such as “I really want a natural look, nothing over-the-top” means different things to different people. In other words, what you consider to be natural may not be what your plastic surgeon considers to be natural looking.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well. 
I also use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

500 cc implants

+1

500 cc implants are fairly large. From your photos you may benefit from a lift possibly a circumareolar. But without an exam it ia hard to be sure.  Good luck.

It is very unlikely to end up looking natural with very large breast implants.

+1

Hi.  I hope this article is useful to you

.1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)