Are 500cc Breast Implants Unsafe or Too Large for my Body?

Hello! I am 23, 5'8", 155lbs, & a 34B. I had my consultation today and the PS suggested I get 500cc implants. He suggested I get them under the muscle with the incision under my breasts. He said if I wanted silicone he would do high profile and if I wanted salene a moderate profile. I am wanting a full C or small D cup & I would like them to look as natural as possible. I tried this size on and I liked the way it looked but I was wondering are implants this large safe?

Breast Implant Size... Choices?

+4

Hi Anon, These are my suggestions:

• I would recommend you try the implant with a surgical bra to see if you like the size.
  • Then depending the diameter of your breast we could use a specifically shape implant to give you the shape you desire.
  • Importantly, I ask my pa tints what cup size they like to be.
  • Next you have to consider the long term effect of large implants.
  • Choosing the implant size is combination of art and science.
  • I would recommend a smaller implant to make it natural looking.

Hope this was helpful.
Dr. Sajjadian

500cc implants are safe in breast augmentation

+3

There should not be a safety concern with the 500cc implants suggested, either a saline or a silicone gel implant. Your only concern should be the aesthetics, or how you want to look. A 500cc implant is on the large end of what would 'fit' and average, or a taller individual such as yourself. Second, a high profile breast implant has a very high projection, what we would equate with a grade I capsule contracture as the implant will sit up quite round, unlike a natural breast. Some like the look, and some want the very full size that the 500cc implant will provide. Just make sure that you are that kind of girl.

peterejohnsonmd

500cc MAY be perfect, but wait...

+3

I am firm believer in not using the sizer technique to determine breast implant size.  When I evaluate a patient for implants I look at the diameter and the skin and tissue pliability.  500cc may be the right size for you if the diameter matches and there is enough laxity in the skin to allow the implant to sit properly.  I use high profile implants when a patient wants to be large but has a narrower diameter.  When the base diameter is smaller there is more projection to the the implant.  

So I can't tell you if the 500's are to big.  I can tell you that if you want to look natural you are better being slightly smaller than too big.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

500cc Implants?

+3

Based on your height, weight, starting breast size, and picture, I think that something in the 500cc HP range would work very well for you.  with your height, you can accomodate more than someone who is 5'3, and still look totally proportional.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

You will not look natural with 500 cc implants

+3

Without examination it is hard to help you with the exact size,but 500 cc  is too big. You have mentioned that you want to look natural,then I would suggest 325-350 cc silicone gel moderate profile. Bigger the implants,more complications and more surgeries later...

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.
 The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

How to "look natural" with breast implants

+2

How to choose breast implants that "look natural"

One of the most frequent requests we here from women who seek breast implants is that they would like a "full C, but I want to look natural".  Trying to determine what each particular woman means when she says that is THE most important part of the consult and pre-op discussion at Hankins and Sohn Plastic Surgery associates in Las Vegas.  We have performed over 3000 breast augmentations, and with that experience, we  have realized that women desire very different things from their augmentations.  Most natural breasts sag with time and fall somewhat to the side when a woman lays flat - over aggressive pocket dissection by your surgeon to "make you look natural" can result in a breast that ends up mostly in your armpit in a few years!  In my opinion, you must be very specific about what you desire from your implants - i.e.  "more upper pole fullness, or cleavage,"  this is one of the most common reasons women seek breast augmentation, but it is not a characteristic of most "natural" breasts, especially large ones, without a significant support bra.

The size of the implant may be the most important decsion for you to get a natural result - think hard about what you really want before you make this crucial decision.  Hope that helps.  Dr. Hankins

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Breast implant augmentation surgery

+2

The numbers all seem about right, in my experience if your true goal is to become a D. Some problems do increase with larger implants,

You should choose your own implant size after receiving guidance from your surgeon.

+2

During a typical augmentation consultation I perform measurements and a breast exam.  From the exam and the measurements I propose a range of implant sizes that would "fit" the patient's body.  By "fit" I mean not seem overly wide and fall into the armpits. 

After giving the patient those guidelines I let them start trying on implants until they see in the mirror the image of themselves that they have already developed in their mind.  This is a very accurate way for my patients to ge the result that they want.

It is not possible to discuss dup sizes because there is no industry standard and different manufacturers vary greatly in their cup volumes.  Therefore forget about whether you will be in a "C" or a "D" cup and focus on the appearance of your breasts and what you feel confident with.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

You need to decide on the size of your implants

+2

In my practice I let my patients decide the size of the implants, the best way is, for you, the patient, to try differnt sizer under your bra and look in the mirror. Usually we go 1 size higher that the sizer you like, to compensate for the compression given by the muscle. Most of the time we use midprofile implants, saline or silicone, silicone give you a slightly more natural feel and look. If you want a natural look, then 500 cc implants may be too large for you, and definitively high profile will give you more upper pole fullness, which will be less natural.

My recommendation is for you to obtain another consultation with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon, (The american board of plastic Surgery is the only board in plastic surgery recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties). If Overland Park, KS is not to far from you, call my office at 913 685 1108, to obtain a non-cost consultation.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon