Is 500 Too Cheap for Saline Implant Removal?

Does price have anything to do with quality of a surgeon. I found a surgeon I like he has great reviews on every website. Hes on plasticsurgery.org. I just noticed most surgeons want to charge thousands for removal this guy is asking 500....I was originally just gonna get the other implant popped for symmetry.but with insurance ill pay the same just to get them removed.

Cost Determinants for Implant Removal

+1
Breast removal prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. It might be possible to meet your price point but be careful that this does not mean a less experience surgeon and therefore less quality surgery. My recommendation is to first find qualified surgeons that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. Factors that influence the price include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctors office? Geographical location also has a significant influence.

2. Type of Anesthesia - IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used, or an RN?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best trained (and longest) would be a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long, etc . Is it simply the removal of an implant or does it involve the capsule as well.

Cheap plastic surgeons

+1

Interesting question there. Should a plastic surgeon make a lot of money taking implants out? Does it seem logical that just because a surgeon charges more that they're a better surgeon? 

For the few patients of mine that choose to remove their saline implants, I give them a special rate of $500 for everything including the facility fee (done under local anesthesia in an accredited office surgical facility). This would be more for silicone gel implants or with the procedure done under IV sedation or general anesthesia and patients who are not mine. I've not seen insurance pay for this but I don't accept insurance for any procedure. There are also more complicated situations than simple removal of implants. 

Perhaps you might want to compare the cost of removing tattoos. How much should they charge? Does that reference their quality? Should insurance cover it? 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Explantation of breast implant

+1

Explantation to some can be only removing the implant, but not removing the capsule. Removing the implant only under local anesthesia can be done easily.Removing the capsule is complex surgery done under general anesthesia, and longer surgery. I do remove the capsule routinely with explantation.