I'm 50 years old & have 23 year old double lunum implants. When should I get them replaced? Do implants have a life span? photo

My implants are under the muscle my left breast is firm and still looks nice my right side is soft and is about an inch inch and a half lower.

Breast implants after 23 years

+2
There is no expiration date on implants in the body.  if there is a problem with the implants, then they should be removed and replaced as desired.

Older implants

+1
I believe that you capture contracture on the right breast. This needs to be addressed. This is addressed by removing the implant, the capsule and changing the site of the new implant. An implant company will never tell you that an implant is a device for the remainder of your life. Implants last as long as there are no issues. That differs from patient to patient.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

When should I get my 23 year old implants replaced?

+1
There is no exact answer to your question, breast implants are not expected to last for the rest of your life, although if it were my wife or friend, I would suggest that she go ahead and have an R&R (removal and replacement).  We have better implants and I prefer to use Sientra High Profile Implants with silicone.  These implants have the lowest rupture rate and are similar, if not better than the competition's "gummy bear" implants. 
Go to Sientra's webstie for more information.

Charles A. Wallace, MD

I'm 50 years old & have 23 year old double lunum implants. When should I get them replaced? Do implants have a life span?

+1
There is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you'd like to change the size.
Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you don't need to do anything. With silicone gel breast implants, MRI studies may be necessary to rule out leakage, and provide information regarding the potential date for removal. I hope this helps. 

Breast Implants

+1
Breast implants , regardless of their age, can stay as long as there is no problems, like rupture, leakage, capsular contracture. You seem to describe capsular contracture, possible leak with deflation and drooping of one breast. You need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon and a mammogram, possible MRI then decide what are your options.
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com