I Am 50 Interested in Intralase Eye Laser Surgery, Should I Be Hesitant Since I Have Dry Eyes?

I am 50 yrs old. I have myopia and seeing a very reputable surgeon in New West to do the Intralase Eye surgery. I am terrified as I have dry eyes. Will my farsighted vision be taken away after this surgery ? I am in two minds? Pls help asap?

Lasik and Dry Eyes

+1

One of the effects that Lasik can have on a person is dry eyes. So with that in mind, make sure your ophthalmologist first tries some sort of treatment for dry eyes to see if it is safe to go on with Lasik. Now if you are happy with having distance vision corrected and still wear reading glasses, then if your ophthalmologist agrees and says its safe then go ahead. At the same time there is another procedure in which all three of your vision zones will be targeted and corrected. With what I like to call, Prelex. A presbyopic lens exchange in which a new artificial bio-compatible lens replaces the old dysfunctional lens. The benefit about this procedure is that you would not develop any dryness.

Beverly Hills Ophthalmologist

Intra-LASIK surgery (Laser Eye Surgery) after the age of 50

+1

Dry eyes are the bane of the LASIK surgeon. 

They make it difficult to accurately measure the cornea and increase the chance of regression after the surgery.  The most common side effect or complication following LASIK is dry eyes.

Ophthalmologists and optometrists are generally very aggressive abut treating dry eyes before the LASIK to avoid these complications.  I have treated patients for dry eyes prior to LASIK and had the vision improve so much that they did not need LASIK.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

LASIK and Dry Eyes

+1

Dry eyes can be a significant problem after LASIK.  Anyone showing signs of dryess should have treatment first and then discuss the potential of additional therapeutic agents after surgery.  LASIK whether with a microkeratome or an Intralase works by making a flap.  In the cutting of the flap, corneal nerves are interuped which causes the worsening of dry eyes.  If dryness is mild, we have a great deal of experience in helping those with such problems.  If somewhat worse, then surface ablation PRK may be better.  Those with severe dry eyes would probably do better with an intraocular procedure.  The best person to ask is your LASIK surgeon, expressing your concerns and listen closely to the reply.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Intralase dry eyes

+1

Lasek is better if you have dry eyes BC no flap is cut so no nerves cut so no dry eyes. You'll need punctual plugs. ReadingVizion also because you're Presbyopic

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Lasik and Dry Eye

+1

This is an excellent question.  Dry eye is something we watch closely for before LASIK surgery and if found we will treat it aggressively until we feel it is stable enough for LASIK.  Uncontrolled dry eye is usually a contra-indication to eye surgery.  Anyone with pre-existing dry eye should also be treated for an extended period of time after LASIK.  The use of a LASER to create the corneal flap should also lessen the risk of post operative dry eye compared to use of a blade. 

If both of your eyes are corrected for distance, you should have excellent vision but require reading glasses up close because of your age. 

Steven Dell, MD
Austin Ophthalmologist

Dry Eyes and LASIK

+1

We always have concern whenconsidering lasik on a patient with dry eyes.  Having said that it is a matter of degree and the what refractive error with which we are dealing.  Small amounts of treatment are not as concerning as larger amounts.  Farsightedness has worse dryness complications than nearsightedness.  Pre-treatment of the dry eye problem is very helpful.

Stuart Lewis, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist