Is a 50% Glycolic Acid Peel to High Percent to Use for the First Time?

I am a 16 year old female from england and have recently perchased a 50% glycolic acid peel to remove my acne scars and redness, I have been doing some research and am slightly freaking out as this is been said to be a very high percentage, will it strongly damage my skin as this is the first time i have ever used a glycolic acid face peel? many thanks

Safety of a 50% glycolic acid peel

+2

First of all, a 50% glycolic acid peel is not likely to do much to remove acne scars or redness. Even though glycolic acid is considered a mild peel, there are many factors that affect the depth of penetration of the peel so self treatment is not advisable, especially by an inexperienced person.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Effectiveness of Glycolic Peels

+1

It is important to know that the percentage of the glycolic acid is not as important as its pH.  If a 90% acid has been pH neutralized, it will be less effective than a 10% acid that is unbuffered.  Unfortunately, this information is not on the label.  You may need to contact the manufacturer.  Most aestheticians and many doctors are not only unaware of this important detail, but also, they are uninformed about the pH of the products they use!  Knowledge is power ~ Be informed.

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD