5'0" 106 Pounds, Very Petite. Should I Go with Teardrop or Round Smooth Gel?

5'0" 106 Pounds  Very Pettite .should I Go with Teardrop or Round Smooth Gel

Breast implant shapes

+3

It is rare to use teardrop implants in augmentation anymore.  The can cause too many problems rotating in the pocket to be used regularly.  Best to use a round one but don't go too high profile if you want to look natural.

+2

There was a great study done a few years ago comparing the results with teardrop (anatomical shaped) implants vs round ones. The study concluded that if every thing went right the teardrop and round looks were the same. But when things didn't go right the teardrop ones looked deformed. Go with the round smooth implants. they look the most natural. I've been involved with the teardrop implants several times over the years - always taking them out and replacing them with the round ones.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Round implants

+2

I have found that, like the other surgeons have noted, that the smooth round implant provides the best result in the primary augmentation patient while reducing incisional length, rate of revision due to implant rotation or malposition, and more natural fee.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop vs round implants

+2

I am assuming both will be silicone gel. The teardrop implants are the most cohesive of the gel implants and therefore need a longer incision to be inserted. They are also more expensive. Both can give you a natural result although the teardrop implants are firmer. Get more than one opinion from experienced breast surgeons. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Round vs. Anatomic shaped implants

+1

It really depends upon you shape if  you were to choose a round vs. an anatomic shape implant.  If you have a well formed breast just insufficient volume then you would do well with a round implant.   From the shape of your breast you will do fine with either implant.  Vectra 3 D imaging is a great educational too which helps patients visualize the difference between all of the implant choices  > 500 types and sizes.  Your plastic surgeon will help you decide which is the best implant based on your anatomy and preferences for shape and size. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Teardrop Implants are almost never the best option

+1

Hi there-

Because there are actually not any benefits to them (they don't actually guarantee a more natural shape), and they can cause so many unexpected problems, anatomic (teardrop) implants are almost never the best option for augmentation patients.

You'll be much happier with a smooth, round implant.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Teardrop vs. round implants

+1

My recommendation would be to use round implants.  Tear drop implants can rotate in the breast and have an abnormal appearance requiring additional surgery.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Teardrop

+1

I avoid using teardrop shaped implants. They can often rotate on their own and create  distortion of the breasts.  They were popular when  they were introduced about 10 years ago, but surgeons stopped using   them when they started to see problems with malposition. I advise against them.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Teardrop or Round Breast Implants?

+1

One of the known problems/complications associated with “anatomical” breast implants is the possibility of shifting/rotation of the breast implant.  This rotation of breast implant may cause the breast shape to change,  potentially necessitating further surgery to correct.  For this reason, and with the goal of minimizing complications and need for further surgery, I prefer the use of round implants for almost all patients.