What Breast Implant Size is Best?

Hello! Im 28years old, no children, 5''5', 119, 32A and want 32B.I prefer anatomical implants. Would I get with McGhan 295cc MF 410style too big or with 255cc to small breasts? I am in doubt with these sizes.. Thank you

What size implants?

+5

Short answer: that size and style implant should give you your desired result.

Long answer: Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted.

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

Outward projection is further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size
Using that as a guide line you will likely be within the C cup range postoperatively.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

The implant "footprint" should match your chest

+3

Skinnyblond: Your pre-op photo shows equivalent nipple position and fair volume symmetry, although your left inner lower breast is slightly more narrow than the right.  Don't be dogmatic about having anatomical implants, rather discuss your aesthetic objectives with your Plastic Surgery Consultant.  (S)/he should guide you to choosing an implant, which will not exceed the width of your chest, which will either produce a symmastia and/or excessive volume under your arms.  Be explicit with him/her about your wishes: 1) tight cleavage; 2) appearance of your upper pole (area between your collar bones and nipples); 3) desire for mobility, softness vs static, engineered appearance; 4) future plans for pregnancy, lactation; 5) requested cup size, etc.  Consider also that in the U.S. most implants are smooth round devices, which are placed in the subpectoral or dual plane, whereas non-U.S. Plastic Surgeons often favor textured devices in the subglandular (on top of the chest muscle) plane.  Your choices will be predicated on your community standards, but you are within your rights to ask your surgeon why (s)/he recommends a certain implant.  good luck

Lavinia Chong, MD

Picking the right implant size for you

+3

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

How to pick breast implants.

+3

How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What Breast Implant Size is Best?

+3

Choosing the appropriate breast implant is the decision that gives my patients the most stress when they embark upon a breast augmentation.  It is impossible to know which implant is perfect but there are a number of aspects that need to be addressed.  First is your anatomy and the existing size and shape of your breasts.  Also, your desire for size. If you are looking for a smaller implant (under 300 cc) then you will likely have plenty of breast tissue to hide the implant.  However, the lower/inner aspects of your breasts are less full than the rest of your breasts and this is often an area where women want fullness.  If you decide on a smaller implant then it will also be narrower and limit your ability to enhance this aspect of your breasts.  Consult with a reputable surgeon in your area.  Check out the link below and I have written a series on important decision when undergoing a breast augmentation.

najbolji od sreća

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

San Diego Plastic Surgeon - (and Bol, Brac)

Vincent P. Marin, MD

What implant size is best?

+2

Thank you for this great question.  Choosing the ideal breast implant shape and size is a very common dilemma for women when thinking about having a breast augmentation performed. I tell my patients that the most important decision is the volume of the breast implant. This one detail is what will determine your overall satisfaction with the procedure. Get the size right, and you will be so happy. Choose too big or much too small and you will regret it.  In light of this fact, it is crucial to get the sizing right, and to do this effectively you will need to spend a great deal of time in the doctor’s office trying on various sizes and going over pictures. In my office, we also use Crisalix 3D imaging to help further decide on the size and shape of the implant. Once all of this is complete, you should feel confident that you have chosen the proper implant for you, and that your surgeon understands the look and goal you are trying to achieve.  If not, don't have surgery until you feel great about your decision.  It is not rude to ask more questions or try more sizes until you feel comfortable. With all of this complete, I rarely have a patient that wishes they would have gone a little bigger or smaller.

As far as the new, gummy bear, shaped implants, they are very nice and provide a nice breast enhancement without the round fullness at the top of the breast. Many patients want this more "natural" look while adding volume.  I like these implants very much, but they have to be put into the proper patients, because not everyone is a candidate for these new implants. 

You do seem to be a great patient for the implants you have chosen. If you don't want to be too large go with the smaller (255cc) implants. This will be enough to get you one cup size larger.  You could then always choose to have larger implants placed in the future if you decide to do so.  Follow the youtube link below to see a video of me placing the 410, gummy bear implants. Wishing you the best of luck....

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+2

Dear Croatia: the process of choosing an implant is very different than it was years ago. Relative cc amounts have become almost meaningless in view of the fact that we can now choose the base width of the implant, the projection, and the height. This is especially true when a 410 implant is used. When a round implant is use, the base width and the projection can be altered, the vertical height and the base width are the same. It is up to an experienced surgeon to explain this to you and try to understand the goals of your operation.

John E. Sherman, MD

Breast Implant Sizes

+2

Without examining you, it is impossible to give you specific breast implant size recommendations.  The sizing depends on your breast width, your tissue quality and your body shape.  During your consultation, your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a range of options that you are good for your body type.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD