Lasik Vs Lasek

Am 49 Years Old and Wear Bi-focals. I don't really care about seeing things at a distance but would love to be able to read or watch television without glasses. Is there a procedure that works best for us "farsighted" folk?

Presbyopia Treatment & Refractive Lens Exchange

+2

When we are young, the lens is clear and is able to change its shape, to focus.  This is called accommodation.  Aging affects the lens.  First, the lens begins to stiffen and lose its ability to change shape and focus.  This is called presbyopia, and usually manifests itself in the early 40's, when we start to need reading glasses.  Presbyopia will continue over the years, making focusing more and more difficult, ultimately leading to the need for bifocals.

Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) works very well for those patients who do not want to wear glasses or contact lenses.  RLE involves removing the dysfunctional natural lens and replacing it with a multifocal artificial lens (IOL) that is capable of focusing light near and far.  It is the same procedure as cataract surgery, except there is not enough lens changes (cataracts) for insurance to pay for the procedure.

My RLE patients are able to both drive and read without glasses!

West Orange Ophthalmologist

No laser procedure for age related vision issues

+1

Unfortunately, unless monovision is tolerable - where one eye sees TV and the other reads, there is no laser procedure that will allow for you to see both without glasses after 49 years of age.  Your need for bifocals is most-likely age related and there is not a procedure yet for age related presbyopia.

New York Ophthalmologist

Lasek for farsightedness and presbyopia

+1

The FDA approved the laser to treat nearsightedness first Then astigmatism Then farsightedness All three have been approved for 15 years Unfortunately people still think And by people I include some optometrists That the laser can only treat myopia Nothing can be further from the truth With my noncutting LASEK procedure I can correct virtually any prescription That can be corrected in glasses or contacts In some cases I can correct higher prescriptions Than can be corrected in glasses or contacts In 2010 I performed LASEK on the highest rx ever treated in NYC -22.00! Afterwards she could see better than she did in her contacts As those only went up to -18! So yes you can have a Hyperopic LASEK Emil Chynn MD 

New York Ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.