I Am a 49 Year Old with 6 Kids and Overweight 230 at 5'7". I Have an Umbilical Hernia.

I have had two c-sections and a big tummy flap over the scar. I have had a very painful tearing feeling in my lower belly when rolling over in bed since the c-sections in the 80's. I don't know what the tearing pain is from... but suspected c-section scaring? Perhaps a cleaning up of the csection scar area would help my pain there. I was wondering if I could have a lipo or tummy tuck at the same time as the hernia repair so I would look a little better. I don't currently have hernia pain.

Tummy Tuck and Umbilical Hernia?

+1

Many plastic surgeons are trained in general surgery as well and feel very comfortable repairing umbilical hernias. This can be done at the same time as the tummy tuck surgery.

In regards to your weight...generally, it is best to be at a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing any type of body  contouring surgery.

However, exceptions can be made;  if the patient is otherwise medically stable then removal of significant excess tissue ( for example with breast reduction and/or panniculectomy)  may significantly improve the patient's lifestyle and ability to increase exercise ( and "jumpstart" their continued weight loss). These patients should understand that their  chances of needing further surgery are increased compared to patients who have achieved a long-term stable weight prior to the body contouring surgery.

It is possible

+1

Please make sure that your plastic surgeon is trained and qualified to do so but it is possible to have an umbilical hernia repair done at the time of your tummy tuck.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

"Big tummy flap" and umbilical hernia can both be surgically addressed at one operation.

+1

In some situations the presence of an umbilical hernia (or other abdominal wall hernia) can merit insurance coverage of hernia repair, operating room, and anesthesia costs, but NOT tummy tuck or liposuction. Doing this surgery in a hospital or hospital-based free-standing surgicenter incurs costs that are almost always significantly higher than what the total charges for the identical operation in an accredited office surgical facility, and insurance companies are aware of this, so your "cosmetic portion" of the operation is separated from the "hernia repair portion" and YOU get the bill (the really expensive hospital bill) for "the rest." This, in my experience, is ALWAYS a shocker to patients who think they will get a "free" or "reduced-cost" cosmetic surgery because of their hernia. (Which, BTW, will not be covered unless it is symptomatic or potentially dangerous, and so-documented in your medical record.) Just so you know.

IF this weight is where your body now "lives" and this is your healthiest starting point for elective surgery, then you CAN undergo extended tummy tuck, and perhaps liposuction of the hips and thighs for improvement in your contours and to remove the "big tummy flap" (abdominal pannus) that hangs over your abdomen! Any ABPS-certified plastic surgeon can and should address your umbilical (and any other) hernia identified at the time of surgery. In my practice I would not charge "extra" nor would I bill insurance for the hernia repair (unless mesh was necessary); I would simply charge the cosmetic surgery costs and not add charges or bills for the hernia repair(s). Unless severe or recurrent, this does not add any time to the procedure anyway, since muscle repair is part of the cosmetic operation. For 7 example of my patients at various stages of tummy tuck healing, click on the link below. You may also want to check out the beltlift photos of patients after major weight loss. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon