I Am 48 Yrs Old and Still Have Very Painful Nipples 18 Months PO?

I am 48 years old and have had a breast augmentation via an inframmary incision 18 months ago. I am experiencing extremely sensitive an painful nipples. I have to cover my nipples when in the shower as even the water pelting down on them drives me crazy with pain. Is the damage done to my nerves permanent after all this time? Are there perhaps any treatments or aids that would be able to help alleviate the sensations I am experiencing? I am thinking of having the whole situation reversed, and removing the implants. Would this help me long term?

Painful nipples after surgery

+1

This degree of pain is concerning and uncommon after surgery.  I would suggest a referral to a pain specialist that can try certain medications that could treat your issue.  With time, this kind of pain usually resolves, but in the meantime medications could definitely help. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Painful Nipples At 1.5 Years After Breast Augmentation

+1

I am sorry that you have been undergoing a severe pain after your breast augmentation especially at 1.5 years post-op.

It seems that your description may be correct concerning possible nerve insults. 

Therefore, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon about your situation as some topical analgesic could be applied locally to alleviate the pain and giving your body the time to repair what was damaged.

That being said, I do not think that removing your implants will help at this point but without physical examination it is not possible to exclude any possible remedy.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Very Painful Nipples 18 Months PO after Breast Augmentation

+1

This symptom can be very troubling. Even at this late time most patients have this problem   get spontaneous resolution. 

Before having the implants removed, which might not resolve the problem, you might ask your surgeon without the trial of Neurontin, or the topical local anesthetic. 

Thanks for the question best wishes for a speedy resolution of your symptoms.