I am 48, 5.0, weight 170LBS. I've tried diet pills/exercise and only lost 3 or 4 lbs. Am I a candidate for gastric band? (Photo)

Lap-Band

+1
In general BMI of over 30 is defined as obesity. Your BMI is 33 that means you are obese. If you fail to loose weight by diet and exercise for last few years, you need to get other choices like gastric banding or sleeve gasterctomy.

South Korea Bariatric Surgeon

Candidacy for gastric banding

+1
Many patients make the mistake of thinking that gastric banding is a good choice if they don't have a lot of weight to lose.  They hear that the band is reversible, and that you can switch to another procedure if it doesn't work.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Though the band can be removed, your stomach is scarred forever, and it is more difficult to do any other procedure.  If you don't believe me, start searching the internet or Facebook groups for key words like Lapband complications or Lapband failure, and you will find that there are quite a few unhappy band patients out there.  Choose carefully.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon