If I Went from 470cc to 600cc, How Much Difference Would It Make?

I recently had my breast implants done, I went from a small c/ bigger B to a small DD. However I've recently lost some weight, I noticed that I've also lost some volume in my breasts. My left breast which before the procedure was smaller than the right has now raised up and hardened and become round and shrunk in size while the right one has dropped significantly. I'd like to get 600 cc's Im wondering how much bigger they'd be, also should I be worried about the new shape they've taken on?

How to pick the right implant size

+2

Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted.

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

That being said, bra manufacturers are not held to any uniform standards when it comes to cup size and shape... that is why one brand of bra might fit you very well for a given size, but not another brand. Or, you wear a 34D in a Victoria's Secret bra, and a 34C in another brand, for example.

When discussing breast size after augmentation, outward projection can be further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size  

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Issues to Consider

+1

1. "Hardened and Raised up" breast implant is sign of capsular contracture- this will most likely require capsule removal with placement of a larger implant, most likely in a different plane than the original surgery

2. Size Increase:  130cc increase will result in about a cup size change for a patient with an average chest wall width.  If you have a narrow chest wall, expect more of a cup size change; a wider chest wall will result in less than a cup size change at this volume.

3.  Skin Envelope;  if you have alot of loose skin, you can expect the rock to stretch the sock, resulting in further sagging of the breast.  

Hence, to make an accurate assessment, one must consider the chest wall width, amount of breast skin and soft tissue, current position of your implants, and amount of existing scar tissue around the implant (capsular contracture)

Paul S. Gill, MD

Increasing implant size

+1

You have two issue from what you describe. The first is an apparent capsular contracture: Hardening and elevation of a breast implant. This can be difficult to correct and may require multiple surgeries. The second issue is increasing implant size to compensate for a loss of volume after weight loss. You state that the right breast is dropping already with the 470cc implant. A 600cc implant is significantly larger and may lead to earlier bottoming out and thinning of the tissues. I recommend a formal consultation with a Plastic Surgeon as the answer in breast surgery is rarely to simply increase the implant size.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision

+1

It sounds like you  may have a capuslar contracture in the one breast. With the potential increase in volume that you request you may go up at least a cup or two.

470 to 600 cc?

+1

Aside from the obvious issue you raise about a possible capsule contracture, I don't know what your body frame is like, nor your breast tissue dimensions and dynamics. A 600 cc implant is a very large implant and will place a fair amount of weight inside your breasts. I would make sure that I get several opinions from several plastic surgeons before I consider contemplating the placement of such a large implant.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Big Breasts

+1

Every cup size is about 120-150cc of implant. So, you would be increasing your breast by about 2cup sizes.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture, breast implants

+1

I certainly would evaluate your results.  If you already have a capsular contracture you have to be prepared for the eventual possibility of that happening again despite what you do.  Site change is usually my preferred technique with increase in size.  Going larger doesn't necessarily take care of the underlying problems that can only be determines by examining you personally.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

When you want to increase your breast size -- "try them on".

+1

When you want to increase your breast size -- "try them on".  There is a bra insert which equals about 150 mls that you can slip in your bra to determine if that size is right for you.

You may have a capsular contracture which has caused the size and position change of your breast and that should be addressed by your surgeon.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Size and shape change after augmentation

+1

It sounds like you have capsular contracture on your left side, which should be addressed by your plastic surgeon. Regarding your desired size change, the right answer depends entirely upon your anatomy.  If you have the base width and tissue coverage to carry a 600 cc implant, then it makes sense.  If you do not, though, and your surgeon advises you against it, I would think twice about taking on the added risks of a larger implants (skin stretching, wrinkling, rippling, etc).

Carmen Kavali, MD

From 470 to 600 cc implants

+1

Given this volume increase my estimated cup size increase for a 130cc change would be slightly less than a full cup so perhaps you would be a DDD. Early on you may see some upper pole fullness but this would likely diminish over the ensuing 6-9 months.