I Am 47 Year Old Diabetic, with GG Breast. My A1C is 6.9. I Want a Reduction. Is It Possible?

I want a breast reduction. I have a GG breast, am 5'8" and 195 lbs, am a type 2 diabetic with an A1C of 6.9. Can I get a reduction? What should my weight & A1C be at for an ideal post operative success?

You may have a breast reduction

+2

I agree you should have medical clearance. A 47 year old diabetic might even need a stress test to rule out silent heart disease. Although losing weight would reduce risks, quite often the size of the breasts makes exercising and therefore weight loss more difficult. Usually under 200 pounds for average height  is reasonable. Some insurance plans may have criteria based on BMI (which is based on height and weight). Your weight for your height is not unreasonable, at least here in Iowa where I practice.For people with diabetes, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends A1C test results of less than 7%,1 while the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists suggests 6.5% or lower. With medical clearance you can proceed with your breast reduction. You are at slightly higher risk for complications but the benefits in neck and back pain relief and ability to exercise should make it worthwhile. It is a great reconstructive operation, although there are trade offs with scars, numbness, and potential complications.

Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction still possible in patients with medical issues. Will

+2

Not every patient for breast reduction will is ideal. Many have medical conditions that have to be accommodated for the operation to be done safely. Provided everyone is aware of the situation the operation can be planned and completed safely.

Breast Reduction for Diabetic Patient?

+2

Yes, it is possible to undergo breast reduction surgery despite being diabetic. It will be important to have the diabetes under good control and much preferable to have  achieved a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with the breast reduction procedure. The doctors who know you best will be able to guide you as to when your situation is ÔÇťoptimized"  in regards to being ready to proceed with surgery.

Best wishes;  keep in mind that breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.

Breast reduction for diabetics

+2

I treat many diabetics. You must get medical clearance and have well controlled sugars.  Yes, there still is an increase risk of complications but it is lowered if well-controlled and otherwise healthy.

Breast reduction in diabetic patients

+1

We do surgery in diabetics all the time. You need to understand that you are at higher risk of complications but usually this increase is not prohibitive. You need to see a plastic surgeon in your area who will work with your regular doctor so that you are in the best possible health at the time of your surgery. Your regular doctor may be able to give you a referral to a plastic surgeon that he or she works with and respects. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for a Diabetic

+1

As you know, patients with diabetes do have a little more risk for healing problems and infection. Your BMI is under 30 but your A1c is a little high. I think you would probably do fine with a reduction, but it is important your doctor handling the diabetes feels your control is adequate before any surgery takes place. If he feels he can get your A1c down a bit, that would be better.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

Of course a breast reduction is possible, but certain criteria have to be met.  First of all your weight needs to be brought down a little, you seem to have 20-25 lbs extra.  Secondly, your diabetes needs to be under control and your internist needs to clear you for surgery.  Thirdly, you have to clearly understand that there is no way any plastic surgeon can guarantee an uneventful recovery, even in a healthy individual, let alone someone with your added risk factors.  So you have to accept the fact that you do stand a higher chance of problems and complications.  But in your case the procedure is definitely medically necessary so you have no choice.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS