I Am 47 Year Old Diabetic Considering a Breast Augmentation. Can This Be Done?

My BS are pretty well controlled. I am 5'7" and weigh 155lbs

Breast augmentation candidate with diabetes

+1

Yes, patients with diabetes are able to have breast augmentation. See your regular doctor or cardiologist to make sure that you are medically fit to have anesthesia and see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full  evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate for breast implants.  I hope this helps

Breast augmentation is safe for diabetics.

+1

Breast augmentation is safe for diabetics.  I take extra precautions with all of my diabetic patients including:

1. ensuring good blood sugar control before, during, and after the operation
  2. showering at home with a strong antibacterial soap before coming for surgery
  3. more careful follow-up to ensure good wound healing

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Daibetes

+1

i do procedures on diabetics frequently and as long as you are well controlled and have medical clearance things should go fine.  the complication rate is higher but most people accept that.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Safe to have breast augmentation with diabetes if well controlled

+1

It is safe for you to have a breast augmentation with diabetes which is well controlled.  You can minimize your fears by discussing your plans with your primary care doctor to get his/her blessing.  Good luck

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Cosmetic surgery in diabetics

+1

The complication rates for diabetics are no different from non-diabetics as long as the blood sugar levels remain normal before, during and after surgery. The main issue is adjusting your insulin does before surgery as you will be without food for some hours before surgery. That should be done in cooperation with direct input from your internist. The situation is actually more complicated if you are not taking insulin. Some of the oral diabetic medications stay active in your body for a few days after you stop taking them which can lead to dangerously low blood sugar levels when you do not eat in the hours before surgery. Also diabetics that do not take insulin can get into a situation where there body produces even less or no insulin after surgery so they have to be watched more carefully after surgery. Very brittle diabetics should have their surgery in a hospital with an overnight stay and a check of their blood sugar levels the day after surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Diabetes and augmentation

+1

Diabetes certainly doesn't limit you from having plastic surgery, as long as it is controlled and your primary care physician clears you for the procedure.

Donna Rich, MD

Diabetes and breast augmentation

+1

In most cases patients with well-controlled diabetes may undergo cosmetic procedures, including breast augmentation, without significant difficulty.   I generally have my patients check with their primary care provider before proceeding with surgery.  Glucose monitoring preoperatively is used to aid in the management of diabetic patients.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

You can have implants,butthe risk of infection higher

+1

You should do fine. The main thing is well controlled BS and good surgical techniques. The risk of complications is higher in diabetic patients.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation is safe, even with diabetes

+1

The key to cosmetic surgery with any medical condition is good control and medical management, and medical clearance to coordinate care with your primary care physician. Yes, breast augmentation is safe, even if you have diabetes.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Diabetes and cosmetic surgery

+1

The short answer is yes, but you will need to have well controlled blood sugars and make sure that the medical doctor monitoring your diabetes is involved. After surgery you can have some fluctuations in your insulin levels so you may need closer monitoring than you usually do. A normal hgb A1c is the first requirement so I would encourage you to have this checked before seeing a plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS