Im 46 a Meat Cutter my Job is Very Physical Will I Still Be Able to Work and How Long to Heal?

I'm wondering if breast implants will change my work performance and also being a butcher how long will I have to take off work my jobs duties are heavy lifting up to 80lbs lots of lifting pulling

Recovery

+2

In terms of heavy lifting, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  After this time period, I clear patients to *gradually* resume activity as tolerated.  The key word is gradually.  Please talk to you PS about his recommendations.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Work after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Long-term after breast augmentation you should be able to return to your usual “work performance”. However, shorter-term your plastic surgeon will guide you as to when to return to specific activities at your relatively strenuous occupation. For example, most patients undergoing breast augmentation are able to return to a desk job within one week. Patients who occupations require strenuous activity will require additional time off work or modified duty.

Again, your plastic surgeon  will be your best resource.

Physical job after breast augmentation

+1

With your job description I would recommend implant placement on top of the muscle.  Your healing should be quicker with less restrictions.  80lbs. of lifting is a lot so I would tend to be conservative and delay a return to full job activities for 4 weeks.

Earl H. Parrish, MD (retired)
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Weight lift after breast implants

+1

My recommendations after breast implants surgery is no to do heavy work for 1 month after surgery.

Manuel Diaz, MD

Resuming Work after Breast Augmentation

+1

Most patients are able to resume returning to work at a sedentary job within one week. I generally recommend waiting three weeks to return to exercise.

However, in a patient with a strenuous job requiring lifting of eighty pounds, I would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks. You should check with your plastic surgeon with regard to his or her particular recommendations about activities after your breast augmentation and follow those instructions.

Robert Singer, MD, FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Time off after surgery

+1

After any surgery, your body will need time to heal. For very physical jobs, you may need 4-6 weeks to fully recover after breast augmentation. Placing implants under the muscle is more painful and does require more time to settle. Once you have healed, you should be able to resume normal activities.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Activity after breast augmentation

+1

Great question.  Many of my competitors downplay the recovery time because it makes the surgery seem "easier" and more accessible.  However, if you do physical work, then I recommend that you should not lift heavy objects for at least four weeks.  The chilly environment in which you work is also a factor and the fact that you stand on your feet for long hours.  It is much better to plan for a longer recovery than to be surprised afterwards when it is problematic to work.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When Will I Be Able to Stand Up Straight?

+1

You will be able to return to your career, but the high level of physical activity will require 4-6 weeks to heal before resuming full activity. If there is light duty available, your could return in a few days.

It takes about 6 weeks for healing wounds to reach 90% of their ultimate "bursting strength", and that is the basis for the delay. I would suggest wearing a well fitted support bra, with side support for the first six months after surgery to be worn at work. 

The one technique that would require less down time would be fat grafting, but you must have donor fat available, and a modest goal in terms of size increase (one cup size approximately). 

All the best. 

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1

I have my patients not lift anything heavy for 2 weeks - this is to make sure nothing starts bleeding in the implant pocket which could require you to go back to the OR to stop the bleeding.  After that, you want to make sure the implants heal well in their capsule - so at 6 weeks you can do anything you want but can increase your activity until then.  After you are healed, you should be able to do everything you could do before surgery.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Heavy lifting and breast augmentation

+1

I usually tell my patients to limit exertional activity like heavy lifting for about 6 weeks. They can return to light aerobics by three weeks in most cases.