I Am 45yo, 5'8 and 178lbs, Sporty/muscular, 36DD. Would Really Like a B Cup, Is It Possible?

I want and feel like i should be a B(+) for all the activities i do. Is that realistic or is a C- what i'll probably end up with? would really like a B cup though.

Size remaining after breast reduction

+1

There are techniques that make it difficult to reduce the breast to smaller sizes from very large ones but in general you can choose a size to end up with in a reduction (unlike whatever size might be desired in an augmentation) if the surgeon feels it's feasible using the technique he or she has experience with. The problem as mentioned is that there is no exact measure of breast size before or after surgery, so determining a B cup size is difficult. In general reducing down to a C cup size solves all the physical symptoms and problems of overly large breasts as A, B, and C cup size breasts (relative to the chest circumference) are the normal size range for breasts. A mid B cup is considered an average size. It is also a bit easier to adjust to the change if you go to the C cup size rather than all the way to a B cup but the point is to consider these issues and discuss them with the operating surgeon and not expect an exact size.  

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Your breasts can be reduced to any size you want.

+1

The problem with reducing to a specific cup size is that nobody really knows what that size is in your mind's eye! Certainly you know that bra manufacturers do not agree on "standardized" cup sizes, and I'm certain you have more than one bra with something other than 36DD on the label in your lingerie drawer! So how can we know what YOU mean by B+ or C-?

Your ABPS-certified plastic surgeon has the experience and technical ability to reduce your breasts. There are those who may have more experience than others, and bring a certain degree of artistry to the incision pattern chosen to reduce and tighten your skin brassiere. There are multiple patterns (techniques) to choose from, and each of us has our likes and dislikes along these lines as well, usually because of successes or problems with one or another design choice in the past. Ask to see many photos of work your surgeon has performed, observe the location and quality of the scars, and understand that a part of the final result is subject to your unique genetics and healing characteristics.

As far as size, I'd suggest bringing in photographic examples of patients who have the size you feel you would like. Your surgeon can then advise you if he or she feels that this is reasonable for your body proportions (and YOU get the main vote here), and how best to come as close as possible to your goals.

In my 25 years of plastic surgical experience with breast reduction patients, I have found that most women with large breasts ask for more reduction than they end up liking after surgery. In other words, before surgery they say things like "Get rid of all that excess!" "My husband doesn't care; I just want these heavy things gone!" or "I've always wanted small(er) breasts." They ask for a certain cup size, and like you, ask for perhaps a bit smaller than 5'8" and 178 lbs might be proportionate with. In my early years, I gave patients what they asked for, and then found out that not just a few ended up being "too small" after the desired reduction--especially if mandated amounts of tissue needed removal for "insurance coverage!"

So, what I and many of us learn (the hard way) is that women with large breasts often request smaller than their mind's eye can truly imagine, and they end up bitterly unhappy when we do as they ask. It's truly a fine line to say we know better than a patient when it's their body--I get that--but then you have to realize that any specific patient has never done this before, and we as surgeons have done lots of breast reductions and ended up in those uncomfortable shoes all too often. So we learn to educate our patients, use photographs to see if the patient's requests seem realistic and achievable, and we increase our satisfaction rate.

And decrease the numbers of women who decide they need implants after too much reduction. (Yes, this really does occur.)

What you need is to choose a plastic surgeon with excellent training, ABPS-certification, lots of breast surgery experience, and someone who listens to your goals, and then you should wisely listen to the expert advice you receive! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction to Small Cup Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to consider breast reduction surgery.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you accurate advice without direct examination or viewing pictures. However, generally speaking, it should be possible to reduce your breasts to a relatively small cup size.

Of critical importance will be the selection of your plastic surgeon. It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of selecting a plastic surgeon  who has significant experience helping patients in your situation. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on  breast surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Unfortunately,  no plastic surgeon is able to accurately predict what cup size you will end up wearing after breast reduction.  As you know, breast cup size will  different depending on the bra  manufacturer.  Therefore communicating your goals in reference to achieving a certain cup size may be confusing and/or a source of dissatisfaction.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you're looking for.

Breast reduction

+1

The breast size you want to achieve with a breast reduction should be discussed with your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation.  The definition of what is a C cup can be quite subjective and it is very helpful for both you and the surgeon to review before and after photos in order to facilitate  communication regarding what you might expect from the surgery.  when performing breast reduction surgery, I prefer to concentrate on obtaining a nice shape to the breasts as opposed to any particular cup size.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Size after breast reduction

+1

The size, as has been written on countless occasions on this forum, is based on factors including chest circumference and starting nipple to infra-mammary crease distances.  Unfortunately, every bra style and manufacturer seems to have its own measurement and these are inconsistent.  It is possible for you to get down to a what reasonable people could agree would be a B cup but this should be proportionate to your hips and the rest of your body shape.

Robert L. Kraft, MD