Is 457 Cc Too Big for a Small A Cup? I Want to Be a Full C Cup

I am 5 ft4, 115lbs. I am 38 years old and jave 4 children. My breast are very deflated i wear a 32 a. I have my ba scheduled and i am getting 457 cc saline. Im worrief it will look too big. I want a full c. When i tried on implants i like thr look of the 421cc. So they said i would need the 457 to get that look. Do you think it will look too big for me.

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Cup Sizes

+1

I like that your surgeon made the volume slightly larger to compensate for your tissue. Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with you wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.  Cup size is a very inaccurate way to communicate because cup sizes are not standardized between manufacturers.  We tell our patients that 200cc is about a cup size, and this is also described in our journals.  Keep in mind this is not a completely accurate rule, but that said, it sounds like you are on the right track.  Also, most women wish they were bigger one year after surgery.  However, you seem very worried about being too big, so if you are uncomfortable, just call in and downsize your implants.  All the best, “Dr. Joe” Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Trying on breast implants

+1

Unfortunately you cannot 'try on' breast implants and read the number to determine the best implant for the look you want. If it could only be that easy, but it is not, and the implant you have 'selected' may get you to a D-cup or more. You can pad out a bra with an implant and try out the fill and look to see if it is indeed 'you', but ignor the number. Your surgeon should too.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

That should do it

+1

Dear Mommie,

A 457cc implant will likely give you a D cup breast, if not larger, based on the dimensions that you mention.  I'm not quite sure what technique you used to size the 421cc implants, but pre surgical sizing techniques are notoriously inaccurate and difficult.  The difference between a 421cc and 457cc implant is very little, so you will likely be happy with either one.  I have discussed my personal sizing techniques previously in this forum and will not bore you with repeating them.  Be sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified, has some experience and a reasonable plan.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast Augmentation and Bra Size

+1

Hello Mommieof4mlh,

You mentioned trying on 421 cc implants, and that you are getting 457 cc implants.  These particular sizes correspond to Natrelle Style 15 silicone gel implants, not saline filled implants.  Did you mean you are getting silicone gel implants?  Regardless, it is common to upsize in the operating room from what was utilized during the sizing to account for the changes seen in implant projection and shape between sitting in your bra at sizing and being under your breast (and probably muscle) after surgery.

I would like to comment on the choice of implant size.  Irrespective of your desired bra size, and without the aid of a formal examination,  these implants are more than likely too large for your body anatomy.  This puts you at significant risk of complications associated with reoperation.  The national reoperation rate for breast augmentation remains high at 20% in the first 3 years, the majority of which is caused by capsular contracture.  If you are interested in decreasing your risk, you should reconsider your choices.

Most women (and many surgeons) believe that a woman's tissues can be forced by the implant into a desired size and shape.  The reality is that this thinking is the cause of most complications and reoperations in primary breast augmentation.  If the opposite perspective is taken, namely that there is an implant size, shape and projection that is ideally suited for your anatomy, you can reduce your complication rate to 2-4%.  To this end, it begins with patient education and the understanding that she cannot simply choose a bra size she wants after her surgery.  This prospective also leads to more rapid recovery after surgery, without the need for straps, tight wraps, or narcotic pain medicine, and rapid return to normal daily activities.

If you choose to comply with this alternative mindset, please revist your surgeon and tell him you want the right implant for your anatomy, regardless of bra size afterward.  If your surgeon looks at you funny, find another surgeon.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

457 cc breast implants sound too large for you.

+1

Hi.

1)  I recommend that your surgeon use sterile sizers in your breasts during surgery to find the ideal implant size for the look you want.  My guess, given your size, is no larger than 400 cc's.

2)  Also, why are you using saline?   Silicone implants look and feel more natural in most women   Good luck!.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Right Implant Size

+1

As you may know by now, implant size does not predict final cup size. Since you are a 32A, an implant larger than 400cc is likely to result in a full C cup or D cup. One thing you also need to consider is the width of your breast - a narrow breast (say 11 cm) may not support a large and wide implant. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon but an implant larger than 400cc in a 38 year old mom of 4 with a 32A cup may be too large. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Size of the implant and cup size

+1

Without photographs and measurments, it is difficult to give an opinion on what is a good size implant to get you the cup size you are looking for. Any given implant will not create the same breast cup size for everybody. The cup size an implant can produce variies based on the hight, weight, chest size, existing breast size, tissue quality among other things. Trust your surgeon and let them make the decisiion for you. Ask all the questions before surgery and get comfortable with the discussion.

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Cup size and volume

+1

A 30 cc difference in implants should not make a big difference in the overal look.  If you ahve concerns discuss them with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast Implant Size?

+1

Although you may find a lot of different opinions online,  and from your family and friends as well,  your main communication should be with your chosen plastic surgeon.

I will suggest that you communicate your goals clearly ( I preferred the use of goal pictures) and let him/her choose the implants ( intraoperative decision)  that will help you reach those goals.

I would also suggest that you do not base your satisfaction with the results of surgery on a specific cup size (as this will vary from one bra manufacturer to another) or a specific implant size.