Can 450cc Breast Implants Look Natural? Will They Affect My Running?

Hi, I'm 5'10 weigh 150lbs and curent bra size is 36C. I'm looking into getting silicone implants (under the muscle) for volume and projection. My plastic surgeon recommended 450cc implants. To me that sounds huge! He said that because I am farily wide and broad shouldered (and because of the shape of my breasts) anthing smaller will not give me the projection I want. Will 450cc still look natural? Also, I workout and run a lot would these implants make that uncomfortable? Help please!

Implant Selection Process

+1

With a good support bra, the implants should not be affected by working out or running after 6-8 weeks.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Implant choice

+1

450 cc's are fairly large implants but it does not mean that they won't look great.  I couldn't tell you without an exam. If you are pretty active and do not want to be too large, you may be better off with smaller implants.

Choosing your implant with the help of computer imaging

+1

Your concern is understandable, however many factors should be taken into consideration by your plastic surgeon and you. Laxity of the skin and breast tissue will be important in obtaining "natural' looking breast. The base  width will also tell the surgeon what sizes are possible. The most important maneuver is for the surgeon to show you on your pictures (Computer Generated Imaging) what different sized implants look like on /in your body. I especially find that  the photos that include the upper torso and sometimes the hips can let you see what kind of balance or proportion you will be achieving with the proposed size.

As far as running, you will need a great running bra. I often recommend that may patients double up on the sports bra when running.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an ideal implant size

+1

Choosing a breast implant size should be done by both you, the patient, and your surgeon, together.  The way I help my patients choose an appropriate size is to provide them with a stretch bra, and then have the patient try on a variety of sized implants in the bra.  I will make suggestions as to what I think would be best, and then ultimately allow the patient to choose the size that she would be most comfortable with.  Since I practice in South Florida, the aesthetic here seems to be a bit larger than other parts of the US.  Therefore it is not unusual for a woman who is 5'10" with broad shoulders to select a 450 cc implant. However, larger implants such as this will be prone to more complications due to weight, and may ultimately cause the breast to sag more.  Also, it will most definitely affect your running, as the weight of the implants will alter the biomechanics of your core and posture.  

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Implants for the runner

+1

It should be quite obvious that a 450 cc implant will be full and projecting and will impact your running. I don't know of any competitive active runners in a D-cup. Your surgeon recommends the 450, though how well does he know you and what you really want? Be sure you speak up or you will look like his last augmentation. The choice should be yours.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

450 cc's is a lot for your height and weight

+1

Dear lady, of course in Europe the average implant size is smaller than in the USA, but still you need to realise that a natural breast has a relatively straight, not a bulging surface above the nipple, a "valley" between the breasts, not a fold, and the breast don't stick outside your chest on the sides. 

With this implant size in your body it is unlikely that they will still look "natural".

Add to this the weight of nearly 2 pounds that you add to your chest, and intuitively you will understand that this WILL bother you when running.

I would advise not to go over 300 cc's, and to use an anatomical implant if you want still to look natural. For anatomical implants the ideal is one with a polyurethane cover (check Polytech or Silimed), but unfortunately these are not available in the USA.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Natural looking breasts and implant size

+1

Thank you for your question.  Obviously, what is considered natural looking differs from one person to another.  For your height and weight a 450 cc implant may give you a natural looking breast but this depends on a few other factors including examination.  If you are very active you want to consider a smaller size implant.  The best thing to do is try on a 450 cc implant in your plastic surgeons office under a sports bra or tight t-tshirt and get an idea of how that looks to you.  Be sure you get a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and compare notes.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation surgery.

I think the most important decision you make (when you have decided to proceed with breast augmentation surgery) is choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon whom you trust and can communicate with. Once you develop this trust and communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon the specifics of the operation (including the implant model)  can be  decided upon. You will find that each plastic surgeon has his/her preferences so you need to feel comfortable that the surgeon you choose is capable (based on documented experience with before and after pictures and/or referrals) of achieving your goals.

It will be very important to communicate your overall goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible .

It will also be important to communicate your lifestyle and activities ( for example running)  with your surgeon. Generally speaking appropriate sized  breast implants will not interfere with your workout or running routine.

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

I hope this helps