Is 450cc Too Big?

I am having a revision in 2 weeks. I have 350cc HP under the muscle. I am 5'5'' and 135lbs. I'm having a revision because I got a capsular contracture at 8 months post op on the left breast and my right breast is sagging. I want to go bigger, 450cc but I'm very active. I love working out, lifting weights at the gym. Is 450cc too big for an active person? Could I have complications? And if yes, what kind of complications.

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me (Revisionary Surgery)?

+2

Thank you for the question but it is not possible to give you specific enough advice online.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C or D cup” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

450 cc implants?

+2

I think that you have to be evaluated in person.  If your skin envelope is very thin then the 450 cc may be too big.  If you are sagging with the 350cc then that suggests that your skin may not be able to handle them.

450CC is too big

+2

It is hard to comment on some questions without pictures, but based on your height and weight 450CC is HUGE!! Particularly given your level of activity this would inhibit your lifestyle. I'm sorry you developed a contracture. It might be advisable to decrease your size and go to a Moderate Plus profile to diminish your contracture rate. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Revision Breast Augmentation

+1

To best answer your question, photos and the measurements of your breasts/frame are necessary.  I have augemnted women with your height and weight with 450cc HP  implants.  These are few helpful hints consider when you consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  

1.  Look at the base diameter of your breast, the distance between your nipples, and the Inframammary fold to Nipple distance.  These measurements will help determine the range of sizes that will be best for your frame and the correction to your sagging breast.

2.  Consider implants that are wider in base diameter such as Moderate Profile Plus implants.  Increased width may help decrease the recurrent capsular contraction.

3.  Have a discussion with your Plastic Surgeon about the antibiotic irrigation of the breast pocket and the implant during the surgery.  There are many reports that indicate that "bacterial colonization" may increase capsular contraction even if infection is not present.  Also, if subclinical  hematoma or seroma collection is of concern in revision surgery, then consider short term drain placement(ususally 24-48 hours).  Fluid collection has also been linked to capsular contraction.  If drains are placed, then the use of "Biopatch" is recommended.

4.  When considering larger implants, concentrate on the appearance you desire.  Do not concentrate on the cup size.  Cup sizes vary from one brand to another.

5.  Although it is not completely accurate, consider adding volume to your current size with a firm sports bra and do your normal workout routine and exercises to determine your comfort level with a larger size.

Above all, make sure all your questions are discussed with your Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Yongsook Victoria Suh, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon