Is it Wise to Return to Work 10 Days After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

i am a 46 y/o healthy woman, with no history of pregnancies. I want a breast lift/reduction and a tummy tuck. would like to have them done together to minimize time off work. would like to return to work - sedentary social work job - sit in office talking to patients - all day - ASAP - 7-10 days after surgery. Is this realistic? Also, since I haven't had children, would I be able to skip he "muscles" part of the tummy tuck??? thanks

Tummy Tuck Recovery Time

+1

Recovery time varies from person to person and is largely dependent on the extent of the procedure. If no muscle plication is required, you may be able to return to work in 7-10 days, but you may feel sore and tire more easily. Patients who require muscle tightening (internal corsett) may require longer recovery times. Good Luck!

Web reference: http://farberplasticsurgery.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work After Tummy Tuck

+1

The key with returning to work is when you will be able to perform your daily activities without risking damage to the underlying procedure. Most patients should be able to return to work 7-10 days after surgery, but they will notice that they are tired much more easily. Patients must also be off pain medication and cleared to drive by their doctor. Communicate with your doctor, but normally a week is sufficient if you  work at a desk.  Start half days to ensure you have enough energy to stay focused on your duties.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Return to work

+1

Your recovery and return to work are all dependent upon the nature of your surgery and your individual healing. Patients who do not undergo a muscle plication will have less discomfort than those who do. In our own practice, I would recommend planning on being out 10-14 days but if you feel up to it you could return sooner. We would not want you NOT having enough time to recover and compromising your result.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain medications after breast lift and tummy.

+1

Your situation may differ from another persons.  We usually advise taking a week off work and avoiding strenuous avtivity for 3 weeks.  You may need to be on pain medications which will impare you and your driving abilities. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Is returning to a sedentary job 7 - 10 days after a tummy tuck reasonable?

+1

It is definitely not unreasonable to return to a sedentary job 7 -10 days after a tummy tuck and breast reduction. However, not every one will be able to do this. (Some people can take 3 weeks off for an ingrown toe nail.) Whether you return at 1 week, 2 weeks or even 3 weeks, you probably won't have your usual level of stamina initially and may tire before your normal work day is completed.

When you find a plastic surgeon to perform your procedure, ask and follow their protocol.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Return to work after tummy tuck

+1

It is conceivable you can return to work 10 days after a tummy tuck though the recovery process varies for each patient. Muscle plication is usually determined by the surgeon bases on how much laxity you have between the muscles.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Time Off After Tummy Tuck

+1

The time required to stay off work following any surgery varies a lot among different patients and with different procedures.  It is reasonable to think that you could return to your work since it is sedantary 10 days or so after your TT, especially if you are particularly keen to do so.

Time off work for Tummy Tuck

+1

Although I have seen patients return to work 7-10 days after a tummy tuck and breast reduction, this is not the norm.   I would play it safe and allocate 2-3 weeks of recovery time.    Patients find it much more stressful to ask for additional time off when trying to recover too quickly,  than asking for the appropriate time off from the beginning.   Remember, this is elective cosmetic surgery, you do not want to cut corners and sacrifice a wonderful end result.

Although pregnancy definitely contributes to muscle laxity, so does aging and weight changes.   I would recommend evaluation by your plastic surgeon to determine the necessity of a muscle plication.   In almost all cases, a better contour and shape is going to be achieved with a little muscle tightening.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.