45 Year Old Guy with Very Big Belly - Please Help

I am a 45 years male and have a very large belly how could I get rid off it .and would it be safe surgery really gives me a nervous reck. please help

Very big belly could mean beer belly

+2

Big belly can mean different scenarios, as already addressed.  Fat can reside under the skin, muscle, and also be inside the abdominal cavity.  This needs to be known before you can be treated.  If you have already lost significant weight, and the "big belly" is just excess skin, you can likely have that excised via abdominoplasty.  If this is not the case, it is likely that your big belly represents the typical "beer belly" of men, where the vast majority of the fat lies inside your abdomen.  Your first steps should be diet (decrease your carb intake--check out the Zone Diet), and a complete evaluation by your internist and then by a plastic surgeon who can fully examine your fat distribution and discuss options for you.  Good luck!

Obesity and the role of liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not a replacement for diet and exercise. You should be in good shape when undergoing elective cosmetic surgery. Being in better shape improves your convalescence and your aesthetic outcome. Depending on your exam, the surgeon can tell you if the fat lies around the intestinal tract behind the muscle wall, and if that is the case you are not a candidate for liposuction. If however, the fat is above the muscle wall and underneath the skin, then liposuction can help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of abdomen helps if fat is between skin and muscle.

+1

Hi.

You really need to be examined to see where the fat is.  If it is between the skin and the muscle, liposuction may help you.  If the fat is deep to the muscle (around the intestines), then surgery will not help you

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

45 yr old heavy male

+1

Without more information I have no idea what to suggest.  If you are very heavy, you need to lose weight. If you can not lose weight and are obese, you may want to consider lap band or gastric bypass surgery. After you get down to normal weight for your height then you can be evaluated by a plastic surgeon.

Big belly...

+1

The other physicians spoke about diet and exercise to address not only the external fat but also internal or visceral fat.   Certainly diet and exercise is a key way to treat these areas.

Still, there are many people that turn to us as plastic surgeons for help.  I see similar patients all of the time in my practice.  They come in because they are looking for help.

Unfortunately I need to explain to them that plastic surgery is not the answer.  If they have failed on there own and are now actively seeking help, rather than just tell them go diet and go exercise I feel it is better to suggest that perhaps they speak to a nutritionist to get on a proper structured diet plan.  Perhaps they speak with a personal trainer to get on a structured exercise regimen.  If this fails, perhaps a bariatric surgeon can offer surgery to help them lose weight.  Lap band surgery, gastric bypass surgery, and other non "plastic surgery" surgeries are often the answer for many patients. 

Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of large abdomen

+1

You don't give any information for me to advise you meaningfully.

The basics would be to get an exam by your primary doctor to ensure that you are healthy.  Then, I would recommend a diet and exercise program, if that was appropriate.  You may need bariatric surgery, or a plastic surgery procedure.  

In my opinion, getting into good physical shape is the best way to deal with the problem, and this means a lifestyle change.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Men with big bellies usually are not candidates for surgery

+1

Because most big bellied men have fat INSIDE the abdominal cavity where it is not accessible to liposuction or a tummy tuck, they only can flatten the belly with diet and exercise.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Male with big belly

+1

There are many potential reassons for a big belly and you should first see your medical doctor to ensure that you do not have an underlying medical disorder.

Once this is established, there is no doubt that diet and exercise are your best method to non-surgically reduce your abdomen.