4.5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty, my Tip is Too High and Nostrils Show Too Much, What Should I Do?

I had surgery 4.5 weeks ago. My tip still has the 'piggy' look. I used to have a longer nose, and no nostril show. Now, my nostrils are center of attention on my face and I dislike this look. The nostrils are also now uneven, and one is incredibly large (very different from the other). This has put me in a deep depression and I'm too embarrassed to see family or friends. I was told the tip will drop but it has not. I did not ask for nose to be shortened/raised or nostril sizes to change. Help!

High tip and nostril show, get help

+2

Most often it can pay to wait and see if the rhinoplasty result will settle in, however if the tip is quite high and all nostril it can make sense to revise now while the skin envelope may retain some softness. If it really is as bad as you say, then see another surgeon and get help right away.

peterejohnsonmd

Nose to high

+1

It's hard to advise without seeing your photo. Generally though i would say you are panicking to early. The tip usually settles as more swelling resolves. Talk to your surgeon.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Drop after Rhinoplasty

+1

If you are only 4.5 weeks out of surgery, I feel that this is still early to make any hard and fast outcomes on your nose.  Your nose continues to go through changes over the course of the inital 6-12 months after surgery.  I would be patient with your inital changes, as your tip may drop a few millimeters.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Tip over rotated 4 and 1/2 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Photos would be helpful as well as an indication whether you had an open Rhinoplasty or closed. Open Rhinoplasty can cause the tip to rotate at least 5-7 degrees IMHO. Ask your plastic and cosmetic surgeon, if there are any nasal manipulations that can rotate the nasal tip back down.

Unhappy with nasal appearance 4.5 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Your tip will drop more, considering you only had your surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago.  Give it more time.  Give it at least 6-12 weeks before you start questioning the result.  Even then there will be some changes in the appearance and shape that you will appreciate over the following year.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

You may wait till final results in 3 months

+1
Before and after pictures would help us to give you good answers. The rate of revision for rhinoplasty is about 10-15%based on the study. You discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty treatment to lower the height of your nostrils after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns.

You're still very early in the post-operative period, and your tip may still drop a bit with time. If your nostril margins are retracted causing too much nostril show, a well performed Injectable Filler treatment may be helpful in lowering the height of your nostrils. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. It's tough to tell if this would be appropriate for you without a photo showing your concern.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip too hogh

+1

You are very early in the healing process. Depending on what was done, you tip will probably drop over the next few months. Please be patient. Nose surgery patients tend to check their nose way too often. Relax and let it heal.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

I wish I could give you more guidance, but without pictures it is hard to give you an opinion as to whether these concerns are temporary and expected from the swelling , or they are from the actual surgery.

All these things you are describing are part of the swelling/healing process, but within reason. In other words, if the tip is really too "piggy" and the nostrils are very asymmetric, even when the swelling goes down the issues will not resolve.

Again, if you have before and after pictures, it will help.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose job

+1

It is way way too early to determine your results. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 3 months is a better time to evaluate things.

Michael Hueneke, MD