Had a Decompression of My Spine Due to a Car Accident. Am I a Candidate for Breast Reduction?

I have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield for coverage. Will they cover a breast reduction? I am 5'9" and weigh 230 pounds, wear a 44DDD and have been told that the size of my breasts could effect the long term outcome of my neck fusion, and slow my recovery with the constant weight pulling on my neck. Is this good enough cause for a reduction. Any advice how to pursue would be appreciated. Thank you.

I Am 44 with Large Breasts.  I Just Recently Had ACDF W/decompression of my Spine at C5-C6 Due to a Bad Car Accident.

Breast reduction and insurane coverage

+1

Each insurance company is a bit different in terms of covering the breast reudction surgery. In mnay cases with a hsitory of neck or back pain/problems that have been undergoing treatment related to the breasts and not trauma may be covered.  Best to go for an exam first.  Good luck.

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

+1

I beleive that a breast reduction SHOULD be a covered procedure for you, but without knowing the details of your policy I cannot tell you if it will be covered or not. for example, in Louisiana where I practice Blue Cross usually has this as a policy exclusion. See a board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. the surgeon's staff will help you find out if the operation will be covered or not.

Best of luck to you in this and in recovery from your recent surgery.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Spine Injury; Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your unfortunate history and description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it may be in your best interest, if possible, to drop weight first.

The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, spine doctors, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Make sure you're saying a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.