43yo Four Weeks Status Post Double Layer Smas Plication, Still Have Signifacant Swelling, Will This Go Away?

43yo four weeks status post double layer smas plication I still have signifacant swelling to lower face and neck with lumpsThree weeks post op seroma was drained and still with signifant swelling to right side of neck. bruising was minimal and scars do no bother me, healing nice. but the lumpy tough cord on neck is depressing me. i did surgery for jowles,and sagging neck. But now when you look at me you see this thick cord. I do not want to regret doing this. i have been massaging but no change. Can i take naprosyn to get swelling to go down? Does this require another surgery? Will this go away?

Post operative irregularities after SMAS

+2

First, ask your surgeon the same questions. He/she was there and they exactly know what was done

Secondly, I am not aquatinted with term "double SMAS" plicatiion. Again discuss with your original surgeon.

however, in general, utilizing standard SMAS techniques, there are aways minor irregularities that usually resolve in approximately 6 weeks.

keep your appointments and f you chose a experienced board certified plastic surgeon, I am sure all work out wheel for you.

please keep us informed of your progress and good luck.

Riverside Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post double layer SMAS surgery

+1
Thank you for the photos. You are too early to make any statements about long term results. There will be swelling, but one has to also look for fluid accumulation, etc. You had a seroma drained once.  This will also delay any statements about long therm results.  Best to inform your surgeon about your concerns. Together you will make a plan to get through the post operative course.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Needs more time

+1

A SMAS facelift requires quite a bit of dissection and creates a fair amount of trauma.  Swelling lasting well beyond 4 weeks is not unheard of.  The seroma you developed probably did worsen your edema.   I would recommend continuing your message and keeping your head elevated as much as is feasible.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon for reassurance but chances are excellent that this condition will resolve with time.  I hope this helps you!

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Early/4weeks post face/necklift lumpiness will resolve

+1

Looks like your jowls and sagging neck will be well addressed by the procedure, however you are in that inevitable "awkward" stage.  Hang tight and discuss your concerns with your PS.  Jowls appear to be corrected but what is most obvious is the horizontal cord on the anterior surface of your neck.  This may be related to the post-op seroma, which was drained 3 weeks afterwards.  Do ask your PS whether lymphatic drainage, external low energy ultrasound or other nonsurgical modalities may accelerate the breakdown. Many face/necklift patients experience similar lumps and bumps but the good news is that time resolves the majority.  Best wishes.

Lavinia Chong, MD