I've Lost 150 and Have had a C-Section, Will that Affect TT Results? (photo)

Was my stomach muscle cut during the C-section and will that affect a positive outcome with the TT? My biggest concern is being happy with the end result, I had a bilateral brachioplasty with the same surgeon last April, and I was thrilled. I am currently 200 pounds, 5'10 but wearing a size 12 even with all the squishy skin,I seem to build muscle easily and have been working my abs I work out 12+ hours a week, and have been maintaining this weight for over 5 months, the scale doesn't budge!

Can tummy tuck be performed if I have a c-section scar?

+2

Congratulations! You look stunning!

A C-section scar is not a contra-indication for a tummy tuck.  I would estimate 20-30% of my patients have had some form of lower abdominal scar before their tummy tuck.

Most importantly, it is critical you maintain your weight for at least one year before contemplating surgery.  Also, your nurition must be optimized to ensure adequate healing.  Studies have shown if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is above 30, there is a slightly higher risk of complications after tummy tuck surgery. My recommendation is to bring your BMI under 30.

Good Luck.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

C-section scar not contraindication to tummy tuck

+1
You should be very proud of your weight loss. Keep up the good work. Don't worry about the c-section scar. This is usually rmoved with the tummy tuck. The muscle fascia can still be plicated (tightened) and provide a very nice result. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

TT w/mesh reinforcement will help you lose weight

+1

Congratulations on your successful weight reduction!

At the time of c-section, the obstetrician may make a transverse incision and cut your muscles or make a midline incision and not.  Either way it is irrelevant for your TT.  After losing 150 lbs, your skin will be hanging and your fascia weakened.  You will need a wide skin excision and fascia plication.  The traditional TT simply uses sutures to repair the fascia.  In your case, I recommend the use of mesh to reinforce the repair. Your weight has plateaued because your abdominal cavity has lost intra-abdominal fat and your abdominal wall is no longer providing external compression to the mechanical receptors in your stomach wall (receptors that influence satiety)  Mesh reinforcement at TT will help you lose additional weight.  There has been recent articles published about this.  Working out will strengthen your muscles but WILL NOT strengthen your fascia.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck can be done after c-section

+1

You should be very proud of yourself for the weight loss! A C-section will not interfer with a tummy tuck and the incision is often incorporated into the tummy  tuck incision.  Any scar tissue that has built up under the c-section scar is easily removed by most plastic surgeons.  During a C-section your abdominal muscles are usually not cut. Discuss with your plastic surgeon if you are to have the rectus muscles will be tightend with suture as this ofter will help to give you more shape at the waist and a flatter abdomen.  If you were happy with the plastic surgeon doing the brachioplasty, you should be even happier with the results of a tummy tuck. Good Luck

Sandra L. Margoles, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon

TT after massive weight loss and C Section

+1

It is very common to perform Tummy Tuck in patients who have lost a massive amount of weight and also have previous scarring from either a hysterectomy or a C section.  In patients who have lost a massive amount of weight, the only way to get rid of the extra skin and tissue is with Tummy Tuck.  Generally speaking, previous low transverse scars are not a contraindication to Tummy Tuck.  In San Antonio, it is routine to perform Tummy Tuck on patients who have lost weight and have had a c section.  We will also often perform a Belt Lipectomy or Body Lift to get all of the extra tissue out.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks after C Sections

+1

Having a C section does not preclude you from having a great result with a Tummy Tuck. In a C Sections the muscles are separated to allow access the the uterus - they are not cut. In your case, the lower your weight at the time of tummy tuck, the better the results. If your surgeon produced nice results with an Arm Lift, I'm sure your tummy tuck will be great and cap your amazing transformation. 

Tummy Tuck after C-Section

+1

The C-section usually does not result in the rectus muscles being cut -- although the skin incision is transverse, the muscle underneath the skin is separated vertically and preserved.  Although your rectus muscles are preserved, it is very likely that you have developed a "diastasis" or separation of the rectus muscles due to your previous pregnancy.  This is very common and can result in a "pooch" or "bulge" of the lower abdomen.  A key component to the tummy tuck procedure is tightening the diastasis with suture that runs from below the breast bone to the pubic bone.  This is called "plication" and is combined with the removal of excess skin and fat via the tummy tuck incisions.  Plication is a key step in achieving improved shape with additional support to the abdomen.  I describe it to my patients as an "internal corset" that supports your abdomen and helps create a more pleasing contour.  Plication does add a bit more discomfort to the recovery process -- many patients describe the feeling of being "tight" for several weeks following surgery.  This sensation of tightness will relax with time.  Good luck with your future surgery!  Just make sure you have a board-certified plastic surgeon help you achieve your goals.  

Max Lehfeldt, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and C-section Scar?

+1

Congratulations on your“Transformation”.

The presence of the C-section scar will not necessarily affect your tummy tuck results.

Given the degree of your weight loss, you should consider whether you should undergo a full tummy tuck procedure or an extended tummy tuck procedure.  Which operation you choose will depend on your goals.  Choosing the right operation and the right plastic surgeon will be critical to achieving the results you are looking for.

The tummy tuck procedure will serve to remove “excess” skin and adipose tissue and plicate (put back together) the abdominal wall muscles that spread when you were heavier.  Raising the pubic area may also be helpful.

Extended tummy tuck surgery may be helpful for some patients who are concerned  about the “muffin top” or "love handles” (flank or lower back skin and adipose tissue). Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave the patient with loose skin and an unsatisfactory result.

Tummy tuck after C section and weight loss

+1

Congratulations! You must be happy and proud for your weight loss. Having a C-section scar does not usually effect the end results of a tummy tuck.  Most all plastic surgeons that I know, including myself, can easily navigate the scar.  See a plastic surgeon in your area to be sure.  Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck After Massive Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on the wonderful weight loss.  Although you probably would get a better result if you lose additional weight, the fact that your weight is stable and your loss massive indicates that you likely would benefit from a tummy tuck or body lift now.  The previous C-section scar should not be a problem and likely will be entirely removed.

John Whitt, MD