Skin Contractions After Tumescent Liposuction?

I'm 43 years old and I had tumescent lipo done 2 wks ago. My skin is retracting really bad that it feels like contractions coming and going. Or even better to say like cramps. This does not really hurt but it is very unconfortable feeling for me. I also have a lot of areas that are lumpy around the waist area, with some skin irregularities. Is this normal for the skin to contract this way? Or should I be concern?

Lumps, Bumps & Swelling Following Liposuction

It’s not unusual to have significant changes in the immediate post-operative period following tumescent liposuction.  These changes occur for a variety of reasons including swelling, skin tightening and in rare cases muscle spasms.  It’s normal to have lumps, bumps and swelling and over the course of time skin may tighten as well.

In your case what you describe as skin contractions is probably muscle spasm.  When liposuction is performed on the abdomen, the underlying muscles can occasionally be traumatized.  When these muscles are traumatized they can intermittently contract which creates the sensation of cramps.

In most cases, these spasms resolve spontaneously.  In some cases massage and occasionally muscle relaxants are helpful.  It’s important to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon, so the situation can be managed appropriately. 

Tumescnet Lipo

When the area heals after tumescent lipo, there can be irregular tissue for months.  In 6-8 months, thing should be back to normal, minus the fat.  Although some irregularity is expected after lipo if an aggressive procedure is performed.  Micro-tumescent needs to be defined by the one advertising the procedure as the tumescent name is general at best. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Skin contraction and smoothing takes time after liposuction

It is typical for the skin to feel slightly numb and to have some unevenness right after liposuction. Swelling will also result in the impression of folds or lines on the skin from the compression garment. The muscle cramping is not very common and may do better as you begin to move around more. Skin contraction will take several weeks so work closely with your surgeon and be patient.

peterejohnsonmd

Skin contraction takes time after liposuction

Check with your surgeon, but it sounds like a normal course after liposuction. If your surgeon approves, massaging the firm and lumpy areas may help. It is common for such things to last 2-3 months after treatment so time is on your side.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Post lipo lumpiness, LPG, Powershape treatment

It may be worth considering lipomassage either with LPG or Powershape. The uneveness and bumpiness often responds well to this treatment.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Two weeks post liposuction

Patients two weeks out after liposuction experience many different things including sensory changes, and skin redraping issues. It is still too early to see the final results.  Give it some time.  If you have concerns call your doctor.

Discomfort two weeks after liposuction

The discomfort and bumps you are experiencing are entirely normal for some people. When you have discomfort at two weeks, the best thing to do is take something like Aleve twice daily with meals. If that is not strong enough, you might need Celebrex, which is prescription.

Just let your doctor know. I am sure he or she will be happy to talk to you and get you through the next two to four weeks when the discomfort should resolve.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Contraction of skin after liposuction

There is a very active process of healing after liposuction for months.  New collagen is being formed and swelling first increases then decreases.  Compression garments often minimize some of the symptoms but do not eliminate them. For most patients the symptoms continue to improve especially in the next several weeks from the point at which you are. Certainly you should see your surgeon for reassurance.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

2 Weeks Is Too Early For Final Lipo Results

Since your liposuction was only two weeks ago, you still have alot of changes that are going to occur.  It is normal to have nerve sensation changes, unevenness, swelling, etc.  for at least a month, if not two.  The contractions you are feeling are usually muscle spasms that will subside in the next week or two.  Just be patient, wear some compression garments as much as possible, and everything should smooth out over time.  I hope this helps.