425HP or 375MP for 5ft. Frame? (photos)

40yrs old, 5ft 1in, 122lbs, small 34B, 2 kids (not breastfed), breast stats noted under pics. Having BA w/ mentor silicone under the muscle. Initial goal was to be a full C cup and my doc said Mentor 375cc MP for the right breast/350cc on the left. After wearing implant sizers with clothes, I liked the 425cc look better. With the bigger implant, my doc said the MP would be too wide and now recommends HP 425cc for the right & 400cc HP for the left. Overall, am I going too big for my size/stats?

Ideal Breast Implant

+2

I believe that every patient has a range of sizes and configurations that will end in a nice result.    I am also generally in favor of going in the mid range of what is correct for each patient  and never too big or small.   I prefer Allergan implants (Natrelle) always and no exceptions.   I feel there is so little difference between high and mid profile and the final result that there is no reason for all the agonizing.    85% of implants used in America are mid profile.   If a person comes to me and wants high profile that is what they get and the same for mid profile and of course this I may modify if needed.  I never use low profile.    I would prefer 375 for you but in Allergan Natrelle implants I would use 371 or 397 moderate. My Best,  Dr C  

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

+2

I always  have patients do a baggy test after I measure and examine my patients, and give them a rough volume that I think will work for them.  I think you should do the same.

Choosing proper breast implants for an augmentation

+2

The size of implants for an augmentation may not be clearly known until the breast pocket is created( eith below the muscle or above the muscle).  Sizers would be used during the procedure to see what looks thew best for you.  It may be that the bigger implants may be too large for you, but this will be known at the time of the surgery .  Please remember that size is never as important as having implants that fir your breast shape as well as possible.  Implants that are too large look unnatural.  Properly sized implants look wonderful!

Good luck to you.  Choose a local Plastic Surgeon with a good reputation fort creating very good shapes for the breasts, not just overly large implants.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Size and profile? What is the correct choice?

+2

Base measurements are imprecise, because breasts do not have "sharp" edges to accurately measure, not to mention the fact that breast implants stretch and alter the measurements slightly, and the actual implant pocket dimension is the one to be concerned about!

The HP Mentor 425cc implant has a diameter of 12.5cm, whereas there is no 425cc MP (moderate plus) implant, and the next size is 450cc, which has a 13.6cm diameter in the MP profile. Your statistics seem to violate this diameter, but I would suggest that your actual pocket diameter will easily accommodate this implant diameter, and will help to avoid the high, round "Baywatch coconut" look (unless that is what you seek) of the HP implants.

If you like the look of 425cc implants in a bra, then you will likely be dissatisfied with the smaller implants, as I usually ADD 50-100cc to the sized implant volume to "make up" for the apparent size decrease when below the muscle. Hence I would probably go larger rather than smaller, dependent upon the thickness and tautness of your muscle and your skin tone. Anatomy does have limits!

I would, however, counsel you against a "crescent lift." Is your surgeon charging you extra for this periareolar augmentation incision? If not, perhaps the miniscule "lift" you will achieve with this approach is worth the effort. But I would suggest an inframammary incision, and consider same size implants, as your stated discrepancy is so slight (25cc), and Vectra analysis is only a visual (photographic) "guesstimation" anyway. You are asymmetrical now; any equal implant enlargement will only decrease the percentage of discrepancy, and will not be visible. Trying to tweak the implants is less important than precise surgical technique, meticulous hemostasis, and proper pocket creation (position and size). And paying "extra" for a lift that doesn't "lift" much at all (and is probably the incision your surgeon prefers anyway) is just a way to "pad" your bill. Don't fall for this unless this is the incisional approach your surgeon chooses normally, and doesn't charge you extra for the "lift."

For more information about incisions and all other breast enlargement issues, please read my Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation by clicking on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You're on the right track

+2

Your surgeon is advising you wisely by using your breast base diameter and size choice to dictate the profile to use to give the best result.

You ask if you are going too big, but that's something only you can answer. The smaller you go, the more natural you will look. The larger you go, the more fake you will look. Fortunately the high profile implant you are choosing has a diameter slightly less than your own breast diameter which will still give a natural look. Any larger implant would start to be wider than your natural breast and look much more fake.

Your asymmetry is not dramatic, so you may want to further discuss the unilateral crescent lift and asymmetric sizes: doing different things to the breasts will make them heal and look different. Sometimes a little asymmetry is best left alone. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think your range is reasonable and that you will be happy with either choices, what I would really be stressing to you is how different your areolas sit on your breast and how adding volume will make this way more obvious

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Too Big for the Frame?

+1

No, the size of the implant is one of the choices you must make.  If the implants fit your chest wall width, then the size is really a matter of personal preference.  Your surgeon would tell you if the implant was too big for your chest wall.

Choosing breast implant size

+1

You said nothing about the diameter of your breast.  The MOST IMPORTANT number in your consultation is YOUR DIAMETER.  Start there and stay close to that number.   Then move your size and profile around to fit the diameter.  Size is your choice.  Diameter should be close to your natural diameter.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Implant size selection to acheive your goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system
Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.
Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Confusion about proper breast implant size

+1

Making recommendations for the most appropriate sized breast implants for you based on photos and "measurements" are imprudent and not accurate. Instead, a complete history including what your exact goals are including the "look" and proportionality, as well as a precise examination using breast sizers, is a better, more productive approach. Furthermore, the size may need to be adjusted intra-operatively based on findings, etc.

Your best approach is to find a board certified plastic surgeon that is reputable and with whom you are comfortable and leave the ultimate decision for size (based on your goals and wishes) to him/her.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD