425cc Vs 450cc...Any Real Difference?

I am a 28 YO female 5'7'' & 155lbs. I have broad shoulders, wide hips, & an approx. 38'' band size w/ very little breast tissue - maybe an A cup breast. I'm having a BA on Tuesday and am debating over 425cc vs 450cc silicone gel implants. I realize the difference in volume is a matter of maybe an ounce per breast. Will this make a significant visible difference? I'd like to avoid going so big that I'd look heavy.

425vs 450

+2

i am going to buck the trend and say go with the 450.  you are a tall woman and will tolerate it well.  many more women wish they had gone bigger afterwards than the opposite. that small amount will not make you look heavier. i am assuming you have already had lengthy discussions with your surgeon at this point.  good luck

Newark Plastic Surgeon

How to pick breast implants.

+2

Hi.   I hope you find this article useful.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implant Sizing?

+2

I do not think you will notice a “significant visible difference” between 425 mL versus 450 mL breast implants.

It will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "heavy" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

425cc versus 450cc-Is There A Difference?

+1

Dear Surgerysoon12,  The size difference you are asking about is so small that if you did not know which implant was which, you would not be able to tell the difference.  This is where you need to rely on the expertise and skills of your plastic surgeon to determine which implant size looks best for you at the time of your operation.  If you have communicated your size goals and your expectations of appearance to your surgeon and you both feel comfortable with the size range and look you have selected, then you will probably do very well with your surgery.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

25 cc and implants

+1

25 cc's will not make a big difference in terms of the overall look.  Go with your cooperative decision between you and your surgeon.  Good luck.

Difference between 425 cc & 450 cc implants

+1

The difference between the 425 cc and the 450cc implants is 1/8th of a cup size.  This will not be perceivable by you or the surgeon.  If your goal is to avoid going too big or look too heavy then I recommend you have the surgeon decide implant size at the time of surgery.  Prior to surgery you MUST convey your desires to the plastic surgeon and preferably show pictures.  Then trust his/her judgement to satisfy your needs.  I certainly recommend a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is A 25cc Difference in Breast Implant Size Noticeable?

+1

The mental debate that you are having over a 25cc difference in breast implant size is irrelevant. That will make no discernible difference in appearance. Visible differences can only been seen in 50 to75cc size differences in breast implants in the 400cc range. When in doubt, go with the slightly bigger size, you will ultimately be happy that you did. The vast majority of unhappiness with postoperative breast implant size is that they are not big enough, rather than being too big.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast implant questions

+1

I would not believe there would be a very noticeable difference in the two implants.  The biggest decision for your surgeon will be the profile of the implant (moderate, mod plus, etc).  In general, most patients prefer the higher end of the breast implant sizes.  I would go over this again with your surgeon so that you feel comfortable with the entire process.

Michael L. Spann, MD
Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

+1

Many patients find themselves on the fence between two sizes.  In some ways you have answered your own question.  You realize the difference is so small, it probably won't matter.  You also said you wanted to avoid going too big or being too heavy, so it sounds like you are tending to go down in size and are favoring the smaller choice.  All the best on Tuesday, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+1

If you are telling the surgeon what size implants to use there is a high likelihood you will be displeased with the results. There is no reliable way to know ahead of time how an implant in place will be affected by rib shape, muscle thickness and elasticity and breast thickness and elasticity. Tell your doctor wha look you want and let him decide what size looks best by using sizers in surgery. That's what you are paying him for ... his expertise and his artistic eye.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD