42 Yr Old Asian with Sensitive Skin: Chemical or Laser For Sun Spots, Lines and Discoloration? (photo)

I have a question regarding the pros and cons of chemical vs laser for my skin type: Fair skin, Asian, VERY sensitive skin, SCARS easily, capillaries, sun spots, fine wrinkles, tans med, burns minimal, uneven red pigment tone on the cheeks & chin. I would like to get rid of the sun spots, lines, discoloration, and capillaries but fear either treatment will leave my skin more discolored & scarred. Any suggestions?

Dermal Fillers and Restylane for Marionette Lines

+1

Non Ablative Fraxel Dual laser is used on Asian skin types. Your various skin issues require lasers treatments with more than one specific wavelength. Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 is a non-ablative laser treatment that addresses mild to moderate acne scars, actinic keratosis, melasma, photodamage, surgical scars and mild to moderate periorbital wrinkles. The Erbium fiber laser component penetrates deeper layers of the skin (1,550 nanometer). The Thulium fiber laser component is more superficial (1,927 nanometer).

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Asian Sensitive Skin: What we Recommend for Sun Spots, Lines and Redness

+1

For Really Sensitive Skin I recommend a Very Conservative Plan Which would include:

1. A skin Care Regiment that avoids excessive abrasion and exfoliation but that contains a light moisturizer and a natural anti-inflammatory component. 
  2. A non-invasive anti-wrinkle treatment such as Pelleve', avoid Chemical Peels or Agressive Lasers because of the sensitivity of your skin.
  3. For Sun Spots:  Start with 8% Hydroquinone with sublock and when hyperpigmentation starts to resolve reduce concentration to 4% for maintenance.  
  4. For the reddness: a non-invasive vascular laser treatment

In closing avoid any treatments that are going to irritate your sensitive skin .

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

+1

You would be a good candidate for the DOT Co2 Laser.  The heat and depth can be controlled during the procedure.  We have performed many facial laser resurfacing on darker pigmented skin with amazing results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Treatment of sunspots, lines and discoloration

+1

One of the most effective (and least expensive) ways to reverse sun spots, fine wrinkle lines, and discoloration is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: 4% hydroquinone and tretinoin cream. These dark spots are typically due to chronic sun damage so daily use of sunscreens is essential in your treatment. Combining prescription-only tretinoin cream with hydroquinone will make it even more effective. I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon