410 or Round Memory Gel Breast Implants for Natural Look?

Is the 410 right for me or do I go with a round Memory Gel instead? As I entered the Breast Augmentation process, I was confident that I wanted the shaped 410.

At my first consult, I compared it to the traditional Saline & Silicone implants. I liked the feel and the shape of the 410 more, and thought it was the way to go. But the more I read, the more it seems that the 410 may be too firm/rigid/cold to come across as natural?

I am 5'4", 115 lbs, 2 kids not breastfed, 33 years old, and a very small 34A (ribcage 29"). Considering under the muscle, C cups. Looking for natural shape, not Pam Anderson. Thanks!

Shaped or Round Gel Breast Implants

+3

Hello Amanda, and thank you for a great question.  Choosing the ideal breast implant shape and size is a very common dilemma for women when thinking about having a breast augmentation performed. I tell my patients that the most important decision is the volume of the breast implant. This one detail is what will determine your overall satisfaction with the procedure. Get the size right, and you will be so happy. Choose too big or much too small and you will regret it.  In light of this fact, it is crucial to get the sizing right, and to do this effectively you will need to spend a great deal of time in the doctor's office trying on various sizes and going over pictures. In my office, we also use Crisalix 3D imaging to help further decide on the size and shape of the implant.  Seeing yourself in 3D makes a difference, and can sometimes result in a slight size change.  Once all of this is complete, you should feel confident that you have chosen the proper implant for you, and that your surgeon understands the look and goal you are trying to achieve.  If not, don't have surgery until you feel great about your decision.  It is not rude to ask more questions or try more sizes until you feel comfortable. With all of this complete, I rarely have a patient that wishes they would have gone a little bigger or smaller.

As far as the new, gummy bear, shaped implants, they are very nice and provide a nice breast enhancement without the round fullness at the top of the breast. Many patients want this more "natural" look while adding volume.  I like these implants very much, but they have to be put into the proper patients, because not everyone is a candidate for these new implants.  Pick your surgeon and your implants carefully and you will be very happy. Follow the youtube link below to see a video of me placing the 410, gummy bear implants. Wishing you the best of luck....

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Which breast implant is best for me?

+2

Hi There-

One of the things I find most interesting is the amount of misinformation the average patient must sift through when researching breast augmentation surgery. In particular, I think that many patients become overwhelmed with implant choices and the abundance of information about these options available on the Web.

This is complicated once they contact a surgeon or two for information about the implants, and which is most likely to give them the result they desire. Somewhere along the way, opinions expressed by a surgeon are perceived as fact by a prospective patient (because of the surgeon's reputation or the apparent strength of his/her opinion), who then becomes more confused when she hears a differing opinion.
This leads to ridiculously technical questions being posted on sites like RealSelf and others, such as:
"I am 5'5", 125 lbs, my measurements are 34, 22, 36. I have had 3 babies, all by C-section, and I breast fed two of them. My breasts sag a little, but not as much as some women I have seen. I want to have a full C-cup breast. Should I get 325 cc Allergan 410 style implants, or Mentor 350 cc Moderate profile implants. Projection is more important to me than a natural shape..."
Every time I get one of these over-thought questions, I always think the same thing... ???????
Let's take a big step back from the trees here and take a look at the forrest in front of us, shall we?
Fundamentally, the reason any woman seeks breast augmentation is because she wants to achieve a certain appearance, right? Let's repeat that- to achieve a certain appearance. NOT a certain bra size, or a certain implant volume, or even a certain implant type. When you first stared to think you might want an augmentation, you didn't think, "I would like it if I could have 350cc implants"... You probably thought, "I would love to look like that (after admiring another woman's breasts)..."
So if we can agree that what you are really after is an appearance you would be happier with (as I always tell my patients), let's make the desired appearance the focus of our communications...Let us both ignore bra sizes (which are not standardized and the choice of which is very arbitrary) and implant types/sizes (for now)... Let's first understand what you want to look like. I think you would agree that if we are able to make you look the way you wanted to look, the letter on your bra and the number on your implant is lees important, right? Help me understand what you want to look like, and I can give you a very accurate recommendation of options for achieving that appearance -- provided a careful physical examination has also occurred.
Why is the exam so critical? After all, can't we just put small implants in women who want small breasts and larger implants into those who want larger ones?
The exam is critical, because for any one particular woman, there are only a few good choices of implants available, regardless of her goals, and these options are arrived at by taking careful stock of her breast tissue, skin, and frame. In other words, your anatomy will, to a large extent, help us understand the implant options that would make you look the best. This is the "One Right Result" concept. The taking of these measurements is so important, I do it myself every time, and based on these measurements and my patient's goals, then make recommendations regarding the implant options available to her (as these options would be different for different women).
While (as with any aesthetic procedure) no guarantee of outcome can be given, you are much more likely to achieve your desired outcome if you focus on communicating your desired appearance successfully with a skilled and experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon than by over-researching the implants and micro-managing the details of the surgery. In fact, I can think of no better way for you to increase the odds of you ending up dissatisfied.
So don't over-think it. Think carefully about the appearance you want, communicate it carefully to your surgeon (using photos if possible), and make sure that the implant choice arrived at by the two of you together is based on both your anatomy and your goal. You'll be happier and the process will be less stressful!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Natural

+1
This is an excellent question, implants add volume they really dont adjust the anatomy very much. The natural aspect of a breast augmentation is choosing an implant that fits the dimensions of your breast and the charetristics of your skin

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Natural look - Round vs. Anatomic implants

+1

It really depends upon you shape if  you were to choose a round vs. an anatomic shape implant.  If you have a well formed breast just insufficient volume then you would do well with a round implant.   From the shape of your breast you will do fine with either implant.  Vectra 3 D imaging is a great educational too which helps patients visualize the difference between all of the implant choices  > 500 types and sizes.

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

410 implants

+1

410  implants are the form stable cohesive gel implants that are not available unless you are part of the research protocol. My understanding of them and the appreciation from meetings, is that they are firmer and not as soft and natural as the memory gels.

410 implants or Memory Gel

+1

Both can give you natural looking results but the 410 breast implants is considerably more expensive, needs a longer incision, and is firmer than the memory gel. Also, if the breasts are different sizes, it is more difficult to correct with the 410 implant. Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Natural look breast implants

+1

Hi, both implants you mentioned can give a natural look to the breasts. The right implant for you really depends upon the quality of your breast tissue. This can only be determined with an examination.

I would suggest seeing a plastic surgeon in your area with experience with both implants who can evaluate you and give you an honest opinion. If you decide on the 410 implants, be sure that your surgeon has significant experience with them as they are more challenging to place than the round implants. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast implants for natural look

+1

Without photos my guessmatic is... go back and discuss in detail with the surgeon you have chosen. Be sure to completely understand the issues you are asking before having surgery. Regards.

Shaped vs round breast implants

+1

In most cases the round gel implants under the muscle will give you the best looking and feeling result. The shaped implants can get into problems with one not healing exactly oriented as the other and creating a visible asymmetry. They also can be firmer to the touch so I always use rounds. Choosing the right size has been covered extensively in other answers.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS